Holley blue as a helper pump

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by Lee45, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Lee45

Lee45 Member

May 28, 2017
    Has anyone ever tried this? I'll admit the idea came to me as a way to overcome fuel creep issues with a dead head regulator. Would it be an issue having a regulator between the mechanical pump and the electric?
  2. camaro71/holland

camaro71/holland Veteran Member

Aug 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Got a budy with a similar set up. Ment for straight line performance and coming from off shore racing: electric pump connected to a small tank up front, tnk connected to mechanical pump. Electric pump prevents the carb from starving created by g-forces by filling the sump ~ small tank/reservoir.
  3. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I must be missing something.
    If you already have enough pump it causes creep, why in the heck would you want to add more oomph!!!!
    Adding a push pump would be for guys with so much HP it can't pull enough volume because of the high acceleration.
    That's why guys like me have a front cell.
    1.00's 60' is hard to push or pull fuel against!!!

If you are having creep issues, you need a better fuel system.
    I prefer an air bleed system on a dead head, some guys prefer a return system.

Good luck.

4. Lee45

Lee45 Member

May 28, 2017
    the idea was more so to use the mechanical pump as a second "regulator" so to speak.
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  5. mrdragster1970

Screw that. KISS.
    If you need more consistent volume, get an electric.
    If you are having creep issues, fix the creep.

Don't make stuff more complicated, trust me, I was the goof with 3 pumps on a car.
    I learned KISS!!!!

Mwilson likes this.
  6. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    I have a Carter electric back by the tank, feeding a Holley mechanical, then to a regulator. I'm in the process of replacing the nitrous engine and will likely take the electric out. I do plan on going efi later with a in tank system.

You want the regulator as close to the carb as you can. That mech pump will not make a good regulator.
  7. Lee45

Lee45 Member

May 28, 2017
    Running these two styles of pumps inline will not cause any increase in pressure. A mechanical pumps diaphragm when opening the inlet will not have to pull fuel in this scenario and the spring will decide the pressure. The advantage being it could absorb any pressure spikes from the cheap regulator. I have a better regulator on order but it won't be here for a month. This is just an idea for a bandaid really
  8. Lee45

Lee45 Member

May 28, 2017
    I get where you're coming from, I'm just frustrated with this issue and trying to make it to a car show and drive my car in general this weekend.
  9. mrdragster1970

Obviously I'm not getting how this will help??

Never said pressure, I said volume.
    The electric will insure consistent volume in the line.
    How will a pushing pump help stabilize pressure after a crappy regulator??
    The regulator is the regulating body.
    I can crank my pump from 28 down to 10 and it will still be 7.5 out.
    I can add 3 more pumps, the pressure will still be 7.5 out.

If you are fighting a creep issue that's blowing past the needle & seat some how,
    which I don't remember ever hearing about with a regular mechanical pump??
    I think the cheapest way is to throw another one on and test.
    If it still creeps, the regulator is probably crap??

How much power is this making, what pump are you using, have you ever tried a small, no regulator needed pump??

A cheap quick fix is a small -3 line & a N2O fitting after the regulator back to the tank.
    As a quick test, you could just run a rubber line.

10. Mwilson

Mwilson Veteran Member

I'm guessing its not creeping up? maybe he is losing pressure with RPM?