Holley 670 Street Avenger - Aluminum 83760

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by JD Z, Nov 2, 2017.

1. JD Z

JD Z Veteran Member

Zeroing in on this carb. Any feedback on it? A mildly at minimum modified 350 with hydraulic roller cam, hedman headers and a Holley 4150 750 on it now. Not sure about this series of carbs, plus or minus. The issue is the 750 has no choke and the mechanic said it’s too large for the car. Can’t disagree and I know I need a choke.

Good/bad on this specific carb? Thanks all.

2. Goodwrench1965

Goodwrench1965 Veteran Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Charlotte NC
    I think you mean Holly model number 83670. That is a great carburetor and the electric choke will make your engine start easy. The link below is another similar Holley carburetor that would be a good option too. This is a 600 CFM version and they make a 750 also .
    :https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-0-80458sa

JD Z likes this.
  3. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    Doubt seriously I would buy another Holley carburetor. I have a couple older ones that I've converted to HP (no choke) style main body and they've ran exceptionally well. But listening to the issues I've heard here and other car forums, I would lean toward Quick Fuel for a street carb. Holley's quality has taken a hit recently as they've acquired other companies and moved production overseas. I know, they own QF now, but QF currently seems to be a better unit. As for cfm, a 600 - 650 would fit the bill. I used a 600vs on my stock internal 350 for several years, it worked great.

JD Z likes this.
  4. Goodwrench1965

Goodwrench1965 Veteran Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Charlotte NC
    I recently bought the 750 cfm version carburetor in the link and it works great like every Holley carburetor I ever bought new. Quick fuel is probably a good carburetor too since they are a copycat of a holley.

JD Z likes this.
  5. rchydzik

rchydzik Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Colbert, WA USA
    I will be the devil's advocate here and recommend an Edelbrock Performer 600 (1406), or maybe the Edelbrock Performer 750 (1411). No gaskets, no leaks, set and forget it. Easy to tune, easy to adjust. The Thunder series (AVS) has adjustable vacuum secondaries if that is what you prefer. You might consider a fuel pressure regulator (<5.5psi) with the these.

A Quadrajet would be my next choice, but would probably require more tuning given your combination.

JD Z likes this.
  6. JD Z

JD Z Veteran Member

Thanks guys for the feedback. Goodwrench, you are correct and thanks for noting that. It was 83670 I was inquiring about...not 760 as in my title.

7. JD Z

JD Z Veteran Member

The 83670 is just the trick for me. The shop did a little more than replace the carb. The owner noticed lifter sound and had the valve covers removed. They tightened down the lifters. Said the engine was very clean from what they could see and the adjustments quieted the motor down. They also needed to pull the distributor to reset it to get the timing where it needed to be. Still a reasonable labor bill. I asked them to check the plugs and replace if necessary and they said they are good.

Anyway, the drive tonight was much improved from the old carb. Feels like the 670 is what this car needs. I ordered it direct from Holley and had the shop install.

8. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Be careful when buying a Quick fuel slayer carb for the street. I got one for my son's car and it was pig rich out of the box on a mild motor, called Quick fuel and pretty much told me that's the way they are. I had the pri. transfer slot opened at least .070 to get the carb to idle at 670 RPM. Put an Eddy 600 on it and the car ran great with no performance or idle troubles. I will say the Quick fuel carb was a nice piece.