Holley 1150 Dominator

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by 1980RS, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Chevyforever

Chevyforever Veteran Member

Mine looked like this ... DSCN0700.JPG

1980RS likes this.
  2. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

How does your car perform with the Team-G intake? I have 2 of them to try. Everyone says the Edelbrock Victor is a better intake but I am not so sure. I used a Team-G with my old 454 and a 4150 Holley and it preformed great. Wish I still had that intake.

3. Chevyforever

Chevyforever Veteran Member

The Team -G worked very well. Distribution was very uniform. That engine was 496ci and went 9.60's in my 2970 lb car. It was ported to match the heads so I never tried an Edelbrock on that particular engine. I also had great results with an old Holley Oval port Strip Dominator 4150 intake on a 468 a few years ago. It was run box stock no porting on "worked" 049 heads w/ 2.19 and 1.88 valves.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  4. Skip Fix

Skip Fix Veteran Member

Pretty sure Ford did not use dual Dominators on the Trans Am Boss motors. They had the Autolite inline 4BBL corss ram. That would be way too much cfm for that small a motor.

My friend's 462 650 hp Pontiac motor was sluggish with his and my 500" 695 HP made no more HP than my big venturi 4150 did on the dyno. You have to have the right combination. I think my motor when we step up to a bigger cam will like the Dominator.

5. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Hers some discussion on the dual dominator setup:
    http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=17074.0

The thought was to duplicate how individual Weber style carbs work. The intake had no plenum at all and each carb barrel fed a cylinder. Weber’s weren’t allowed in Trans Am.
    Ford was never known to skimp on port or valve sizes. The 1969 Boss 302 had way too big valves that were downsized in 70.

6. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Veteran Member

The IR intake was a turd and never worked. The signal to the boosters was too strong during parts of the intake stroke and caused fuel to actually flow backwards out of the carb. Holley developed the 6214 Dominator to try and fix it. First they used taller boosters to try and stop the fuel from bouncing up but that made the booster less responsive and they wouldn't move fuel at low speeds so they added an intermediate circuit to allow the car to be driven around the pits a little easier. I have seen 6214's with both tall and short bodies. I have a short body 6214 on my big block that was built by Nickerson. I thought I got a good deal but when I called him for tuning advice he looked up the number and said he built it as a pair of tunnel ram carbs for a 340" pro stock Ford engine years ago. It worked great on my car but I may still send it back to him to get the combo dialed in and bring him my engine to run on his dyno and tune once I finish putting it together.

7. Skip Fix

Skip Fix Veteran Member

8. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

There's been plenty of discussion about the Chevy 302 being over-carb'd with the 780 4150. If you think about it, its the same size carb on the L72 427's and 454 LS-6's, but it seems to work just fine. Vacuum secondary's help prevent a bog when you put your foot in it, but the primaries are still comparatively large but it works pretty good really.

1980RS likes this.
  9. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

That's the great thing about vacuum secondary Holley's, you can never over carb with them even on small engines. When I bought my 1st 3310-2 in 1976 I put it on a basic stock 327 and it just made that engine come alive. All my friends said it would be faster with the 1850 600 cfm VS, boy were they wrong. Stock the 3310 was just about the best carb Holley has ever made, fits so many applications it just boggles the mind.