Holes in Car Cover

Discussion in 'Detailing Topic' started by Little Naples, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Little Naples

Little Naples Veteran Member

Got a new Wolf car cover a few months ago and just noticed two almost perfectly round holes on the hood of the car. The car is in a carport. I'm like WTF! Can moths or some kind of insect make perfectly round holes? Anybody ever see something like this? Can't be cigarette burns; there's no burn mark and there's no mark on the paint of the car. I'm baffled.

[​IMG]

2. DMSTAINLESS

DMSTAINLESS Veteran Member

Sep 19, 2010
    ILL
    I have found the same holes popping up in my car cover. I thought they were cig burns at first, but I can't think of anyone who smokes. They gotta be a bug or moth would b my guess.

3. twood

twood Veteran Member

Feb 3, 2012
    Glen Morris, ON Canada
    Anyone have a bonfire near you??

4. Little Naples

Thanks; now I've got to figure out a way to stop them.

5. Z28zz383

Z28zz383 Veteran Member

May 11, 2012
    Florida
    If that's bug holes, they have learned to eat between the lines. Looks like punch out holes made by a tool. Follows the pattern of the mesh......

6. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    Is that some abrasion (on the right)next to the larger of the two holes?

7. Little Naples

I don't think so...also found another small hole in the vicinity that was irregular so I don't think it's man made. I can't even comprehend the motive of someone doing that. If they wanted to vandalize the cover they could have ripped it to shreds. I'm thinking it's moths of some kind so I'm going to hang some Bounce dryer sheets around the cover and see if that keeps them away....if nothing else it should keep cats away. My other thought is that it was very windy the day before I noticed the holes and maybe it was some kind of stress failure on the part of the cover material....like the mesh snapped or something.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  8. Bamaro

Bamaro Veteran Member

Dec 24, 2004
    Jacksonville, Md
    Aren't most covers some sort of synthetic? That leaves bugs out

9. 71camaroz27

71camaroz27 Veteran Member

Jun 23, 2011
    SW Ontario
    Yup. Look like burn marks to me.

10. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Veteran Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Denville NJ
    I cant help with how they got there,but I have a few tears in my fairly new cover after I used it to cover my unassembled project cars. I used Gorilla tape both inside and outside on each tear and it has held up well. No issues from the tape on the paint of my 2011 Camaro.