HOAs

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by bfmgoalie, Jan 31, 2018.

1. ProStreet383

ProStreet383 Veteran Member

May 23, 2007
    MD
    We walked away from a nice home on 3 acres with an HOA. Can't even own a truck or trailer. Couldn't even do anything INSIDE the house or outside with out permission. No thanks.

2. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

Jul 5, 2009
    mankato, mn
    Sounds like a mental rental property to me.

3. harbone66

harbone66 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Central Illinois
    How in the heck can a house with 3 acres have a frickin HOA?!?!?!?

4. ProStreet383

ProStreet383 Veteran Member

May 23, 2007
    MD
    Big neighborhood with big homes and a pond and some common grounds. $650k house.

5. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Daytona Beach, FL
    I'd like to know how they would know/enforce the inside the house rule. Is that even legal, or can you literally sign away all freedoms? I mean could an HOA dictate that all toilets must be mounted to ceilings, and if you sign on the line you must do it? I thought there was some sort of protection laws out there to prevent that kind of overreach?

6. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    It is B/C of the Gladys Kravitz types that have nothing better to do than watch you and record everything you do.

7. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Aug 1, 1999
    ohio
    My idea of utopia is a six car garage with a 14 x70 ten year old house trailer behind it. Couple hundred a year for taxes, no upkeep, toys real close by, no problems keeping up with the neighbors. Simple living.

8. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Northern VA
    I've only owned two homes thus far (24 years), and both have been in HOA communities. I've read all the horror stories, but somehow have yet to encounter them. But I don't leave my trash out front, car up on blocks (it's on cribs in the garage:), and I basically keep my grass cut and place looking decent. And if I lived in the middle of nowhere, I'd do the same.
    An overzealous HOA board member decided he wanted to inspect everyone's backyards a few years ago. We, The People of the Subdivision of Foxborough, asked him if he wanted to keep his job at all. He backed off, has piped down since (he was too busy trying to have an affair with the wife of a former college football lineman, which turned out to be a spectacularly bad idea for him). That was that.
    In my experience the neighborhoods full of people who do whatever the hell they want are the neighborhoods that don't appreciate nearly as fast as the surrounding ones do. My in-laws' subdivision is like this- they all banded together to tell The Man to get out, disbanded the HOA. Now, yards look like hell, next door appears to be having a perennial yard sale of flea market castoffs, Section 8 transients roll in and out, and enough yahoos have put in unapproved concrete pads that they've ruined the drainage design of the neighborhood, so they flooded during Irma when surrounding subdivisions didn't. No thanks.

The Champ likes this.
  9. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Not really HOA related but here in the High Desert of Socal like the Victor Valley , Palmdale and Lancaster . If on your Property if you've got a Calif Pinyon Juniper or a Joshua tree you've got to be careful . These two shrubs / trees are native to the High Desert and some are very very old , older than a few hundred years

Code enforcement can fine you if they deem your neglecting these Shrubs and trees . A good friend of mine was fined for not keeping care of the overgrown Joshua tree on his property

10. MotionClone

MotionClone Veteran Member

Jan 20, 2014
    away from the crazies
    Thats because Kalifornia is a Communist Country.

GoldenOne7710 and muscl car like this.