HOAs

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by bfmgoalie, Jan 31, 2018.

1. bfmgoalie

bfmgoalie Veteran Member

I just went to my 1st official HOA meeting. After the member portion of the meeting was over, authorization for issue(s) for homes began, One of the first to be reviewed and voted on was a homeowner needed his home repainted - starting to fade a little. He's going to paint the home the same color (original) and he had to get permission to do so. I just couldn't believe it......

Dave - Jim said hello and he said the spider must have came from my home. :)

Dave Nelson likes this.
  2. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    HOA's are a joke. A bunch of Gladys Kravits types going around pushing their weight around. I would never live in a community like that.

3. sal70ss

sal70ss Veteran Member

Jan 31, 2003
    Auburn NY
    Damm. I looked a bunch of homes in Florida a few years back, the ones advertised with HOAs, I skipped right over. I'm glad I did

rscamaro73 likes this.
  4. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2010
    erie, PA
    most HOAs have zero legal power

F 'em

5. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 25, 1999
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Having served on an HOA board I can say that is false.
    Depending on where you live and how nasty things get, and HOA can put a lien on your house for non-compliance.
    That said, decisions of an HOA are not arbitrary - everything is in writing and people sign the documents agreeing to the policies when they move in

6. Smokin'Joe

Smokin'Joe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Texas
    I just picked up a few large garden statues from a couple who had to get rid of them because they moved to a new house and the HOA said they were not allowed to have them. - I was kindof surprised when he told me the reason for getting rid of them as it was a nice house. It was on a smaller lot and all of the fences between the houses were 4' tall wrought iron fences. You could literally look left and then right and see everyone's backyards on the entire block. - They had them on their backyard porch against the wall and said they were getting too much flak from the neighbors about them. - I thought it was ridiculous to allow something to dictate what you can/can't have in your backyard.

--

7. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Very true, before my wife passed away she was on a HOA for a rental she owned for her best friend to live in.
    They were dealing with an absentee owner that had several rentals with scumbag tenants in a couple.
    They had a portable hoop that was not allowed and the kids were hanging around, making noise, blocking the street etc.

One refused to use a garbage can, and their garbage got scattered every week by animals.

The guy didn't pay his dues because the lease required the tenants to pay them, of course they didn't.

They were at the point of hiring a lawyer who was doing the paper work for the lawsuit when I made her quit.
    Too much drama & stress on her in her condition.

The HOA do have a lot of power, and you signed the damn paper, no matter how stupid, so follow the rules, or frigging move!!!

That being said, it is idiotic to control what mailbox you have, what fence you have, what design garage door you have,
    if they are decent quality, not distracting, vulgar, and match the community standards.
    I can understand not wanting some loser to destroy the property value of your home by painting his purple with pink pokka dots!!!

rscamaro73 likes this.
  8. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    I like HOA's.

The scum that litter the subdivision (and they are everywhere) don't care a hoot about property values or maintaining their lawns. They'd put cars on blocks if they could. You wanna live like that, fine, move to the country. But where lots are 7,000 sq ft, it's tough to ignore a slob.

As to Brian's comment, if the homeowner bought the home painted in a color that was not in the approved colors list, you betcha he cannot paint it the same color. But if it is an original HOA approved color, there should be no problem. They probably lump all repairs into the approval cycle so no one can slip in a bogus job.

Think about it...your neighbor says he is painting it the same color and it is ten shades off. He doesn't care; you're stuck with looking at it.

The problem, Brian, is you are rational and 50% of your neighbors may not be. Protect your investment; let the HOA do its job. After all, you pay them a lot of money to do it.

9. cali cruzer

cali cruzer Veteran Member

Mar 24, 2002
    Henderson/Las Vegas, NV
    Definitely not true...what Lowend said is true...

rscamaro73 likes this.
  10. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Evansville, In.
    The Krazy Kalifornia lady (who moved thankfully) threatened several people with complaints to the HOA. We don't have an HOA where I live. I don't know if they were even around when my house was built in 1949. She's the one that got on my for washing my car due to a water rationing law. No rationing here, were have a river.