Hillbilly's Rented Mule

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by hillbilly75, Dec 29, 2013.

1. DBS

DBS Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Belzoni MS
    ive been wondering what i was going to do with the lead on mine when i get to that point. thats what i was planning on doing but didnt know if it was a good idea or not. car looks good keep it up.

2. hillbilly75

hillbilly75 Veteran Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    Thanks DBS, that lead filled seam cracked on both sides on this car. When I get to it I'll build these seams up with AllMetal. I have these fill panels purposely set a little low so I have room for the filler. You just can't see that in the pics. I think it'll help have actual steel in the seam as opposed to lead.

3. hillbilly75

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    Been a couple of months since I've accomplished anything pic worthy. Once I got the cowl removed from the body I noticed below where the wipers attach to the wiper motor had rotted through so out came the body saw and I cut out the rusted metal with a body saw. Since that area is curved in a couple of different spots I made it in 2 pieces.

[​IMG]

I ground down all of the welds and sanded down another suspect areas before coating the whole trough with por-15.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. cubangt

cubangt Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Katy, Tx
  5. hillbilly75

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    Thanks!
    Also I have been poking around on the quarter panels. I remembered that when I bought it that I was told that both quarters were replaced. Whelp, they were BUT they flanged the quarter and welded on 1/2 quarters. No biggie but they only spot welded it on every 6" or so. So once I sanded the filler off I could pull the replacement out away from the body.:screwup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. hillbilly75

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    I'm almost scared to poke around farther.

7. hillbilly75

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    I've been plugging away every chance I get on this car so here are some more pics of progress.

I cleaned up/patched the bottoms of both A pillars before fitting the new cowl panel. One thing I never took pics of was that I had to rebuild a good chunk of the bottom on the drivers side. Including part of the pillar where the windshield sits. Luckily I do not throw much of anything away and I used part of the pillar from the donor roof to rebuild it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After it was all dry I started to fit the cowl panel itself. Only minor tweaking here and there. Other than that it fit pretty well. One thing I did notice though was that my patch sat just a tad higher in one spot which prevented the cowl from sitting down where it needed to be. So the cowl got a little trimming, luckily though this shouldn't affect the way the glass sits on the car.

[​IMG]

8. Smessy81

Smessy81 Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Little Rock, AR
    Looking good! Keep us tuned in on what you decide to do with those lower quarters. That was an interesting repair job the previous owner did!

9. hillbilly75

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    Thanks!!! I've got the solution in the rafters, once I get to the back of the car I'll get rid of that problem.
    I got the firewall prepped and primed for the Underhood Black paint.
    Also the fitment for the cowl was nailed down.
    [​IMG]

I only have pics after I was done welding and painting but here it is:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Welds ground down:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also installed the block off plate with some fire seal sealant for the final time.
    Just have to paint those bolts...

10. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    That is looking really good!