Hillbilly's Rented Mule

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by hillbilly75, Dec 29, 2013.

1. hillbilly75

hillbilly75 Veteran Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    I read as much as I could find on replacing the skin. I think I'm going to not cut it at the top of the windshield but use the whole skin. We will see how it goes, right I'm working on removing it from the inner structure.

2. hillbilly75

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    Well I've been pulling in a lot of overtime at work so progress has slowed a little. I did manage to get the skin separated from the roof structure though. After a lot of figuring and measuring I cut the pillars down to roughly where I want. Now I can finalize where I feel the most comfortable cutting the skin on the car.

[​IMG]

While not pic worthy I managed to be the rest of the interior out and am currently working on getting the cowl out so it can be replaced.

3. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Keep at it man, you are headed in the right direction.

4. hillbilly75

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    I took the roof structure I bought and started measuring and cutting for the patch.
    [​IMG]

I ended up with this which after a little trimming will work great.
    [​IMG]

5. hillbilly75

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    I've contemplating building a rotisserie but I decided instead to build a body cart. After that was done I dove into getting rid of the original roof skin.

[​IMG]

The patch fits but will need to be trimmed so I can weld it in. And remove of all the remaining spot welds and left over metal around the edges.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edited to fix pics

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  6. hillbilly75

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    I've also been working on some small things when I have time like the dash and such. I built some block off plates to close in the vents, radio and heater/ac controls.
    [​IMG]

While I was working on the dash I re-glued the dash pad and straightened out the curl as best I could. It was a lot worse than what it is now.

7. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Nice work man, that's a lot of good work you are doing

8. hillbilly75

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    I've been welding every chance I get, lately I've been spending a lot of time at work so progress has slowed but has not stopped. I'm still welding in the roof patch a long with getting the rest of the spot welds out so the skin can go on.
    Only pics I have for now are of the front fender marker delete I'm working on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. hillbilly75

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    The cheap spot weld tool I bought from Harbor Freight broke so I ordered up a Blair spot weld tool. Man what a difference!
    Got the lower mount plate fitted and after some mock ups to make sure it was positioned correctly. It was welded to the steering shaft, got it painted up and ready to go.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. hillbilly75

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    Also while I was at it I cut out some rot that showed itself on the passenger side front fender. I cleaned up the brace behind it and coated it with Por-15. I had to wait for my patch panel to show up so I could weld it back up. I got it the other day and am waiting for a chance to finish welding it in.
    [​IMG]