Hillbilly's Rented Mule

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by hillbilly75, Dec 29, 2013.

1. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    Good loking work Hillbilly. I like that roll around support. Did you make it yourself?

2. hillbilly75

hillbilly75 Veteran Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    Thanks for the compliments guys, it means a lot!
    RS1979 yeah I got the idea from here.... Just don't remember what
    thread. All it is, is a 4x4, a 2x4 and 2 metal caster wheels. Very simple cheap and easy!! The drawback to it is if you have to go over a lot of cracks or rough surfaces it tends to want to tear the dolly out from under it. But using some caution I can wheel it in and out of my garage and it turns on a dime!!!

3. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Looking good hillbilly, it's nice to see another big bumper project.

4. hillbilly75

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    Thanks 76_Type LT, I've looked through your thread for some info and it has helped considerably!

I did get some work done on it today.... Small things since I had to head into work. One of which was the windshield, I had a 50/50 shot of getting it out in 1 piece....and failed, it cracked half way out. One less thing to store I guess.
    [​IMG]

5. hillbilly75

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    Also I looked at my steering column and it seems the lower plate that bolts to the firewall is rotted through. Anyone know of they sell just the plates?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  6. dirtdobber78

dirtdobber78 Veteran Member

Feb 14, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Nice work! I like the grey subframe. Gives some nice contrast to engine bay!

7. hillbilly75

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    That's Dirtdobber78, I really like how it came out. Not a whole lot of pic worthy stuff going on but I did pick up some much needed parts.

[​IMG]

Plus I found the firewall plate for the steering column and a non ac kick panel for the passenger side of the car.

8. 76_TypeLT

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    re: the steering column plate, I don't know of anyone who sells that, but I bet you could pick up a used column pretty cheap. You might be able to repair just the rusted area.

So what's the story on the roof? Is your roof shot?

9. hillbilly75

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    76 Type LT: I bought a junk column off of the same guy I bought the roof from. It has a good plate that I'll take off and use on my column. The guy had a couple of 55 gallon drums full of columns for me to pick from... LOL. As far as the roof goes there used to be a nifty sunroof in my car that I didnt want. So the plan is to re-skin my car with this used roof.
    Plus use some of the roof structure to patch hole that is cut in mine. It'll be a lot of work but I like the look of a solid roof better.
    I also have some work to do down in the cowl area so that'll be addressed at the same time.

10. 76_TypeLT

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX