Hillbilly's Rented Mule

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by hillbilly75, Dec 29, 2013.

1. hillbilly75

hillbilly75 Veteran Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    I got the car to the house but it had to spend a few weeks outside so I could organize the garage and make some room for it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So I removed the subrame, so I could start stripping down the body. The 1st thing to go was that sunroof.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I actually got it without destroying anything. Anyone need a sunroof for their car?:)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. hillbilly75

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    It snowed again the other day so I had to get out my other toy and run around for a while.
    [​IMG]

I removed that modified heater box that I had on the car so I could start to clean up the firewall. I decided to put an order in to Detroit Speed for some fender braces and a block off plate for the AC.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. hillbilly75

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    Wow didn't realize it's been so long since I've updated this. Firstly some parts have shown up shortly after the last time I updated.
    I got the cowl brace and the bump steer correction kit from Dave.
    [​IMG]

Also the fender braces and block off plate from DSE.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. hillbilly75

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    And since I'm going to be doing some welding on this car, and a lot of other projects I splurged and bought a Miller.
    [​IMG]

I figured I'd try it out on a 4-speed hump that was really hacked up. I patched up the hole for the shifter and A LOT of screw holes from who knows what.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. hillbilly75

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    I also filled in some holes in the firewall that I either would not need or were hacked like this one for a gauge temp sensor.
    [​IMG]

Since I thought a good place to start would be the firewall I went ahead and mounted my master cylinder so I could make a bracket to mount my proportioning valve and made up some lines to feed it.
    [​IMG]

I had to trim the lip on the holes for the heater to get my block off plate to fit correctly, also had to enlarge the holes on the plate itself to get it to bolt up.
    [​IMG]

6. hillbilly75

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    I had previously taken the dash and most of the interior out of the car so I could weld and not burn the whole thing down.
    [​IMG]

I am going to try my hand at gettin the famed "curl" out of my dash hopefully really soon. To give myself some motivation after labeling wires I went ahead and swapped from 2 pedals
    [​IMG]

To 3!
    [​IMG]

7. hillbilly75

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    The body has a date with some simple green and a pressure washer to clean the underside and then I can tackle a couple of holes I have in the floorboards.

8. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    You're doing some great work there! :cool:

You can be proud of what you've accomplished so far and I'm sure this is going to turn out to be a great build!

( Don't be afraid to drive it when it's all Purdy. ;) )

9. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    I agree, great work on this car, looking forward to seeing future updates!

10. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    Nice looking work. :)