Hillbilly's Rented Mule

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by hillbilly75, Dec 29, 2013.

1. hillbilly75

hillbilly75 Veteran Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    Here is the final result, it took a lot of trial and error for a part no one will ever see. Basically I made it out of 3 pieces just so I had room to get the welding torch in to weld everything up.

IMG_1996.JPG

I did bolt the tailpanel back up to make sure that my mount for the bumper was the same and everything was good so it got welded in for good.

IMG_1997.JPG

2. hillbilly75

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    I had purchased some pieces from a member here and I finally got to fix an area on my quarter that has been bugging me. For whatever reason this area had some rust holes and the metal was really thin.

IMG_1984.JPG

So out with the old...
    IMG_2002.JPG

And after some welding and a little love with the hammer and dolly. This is before any filler.

IMG_2003.JPG

I also got the passenger side quarter cut off an it looks like I'm in it for well, basically everything in the picture.
    IMG_1987.JPG

chevyJeff1 likes this.
  3. hillbilly75

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    Once I got the quarter off there was some thin metal in the trunk I wanted to go after. This is after I cut the piece out. The brace that is under the hole was also removed. I had some work on the frame that I wanted to get done. So the patch panel and the brace will be welded back on hopefully soon.

IMG_1999.JPG

I also just got my trunk drop off for this side delivered so out went the old cobbled together one to make room for some new metal.
    IMG_2014.JPG

4. hillbilly75

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    Thanks for the encouragement!

I'm running into the same problem, my garage isn't heated so I just basically pick and choose days and try to maximize what I can get done when the weather is bearable.

5. hillbilly75

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    It's been a crazy few months, I have been working on the car but have been slacking on updates. The inner tailpanel was prepped and welded in.

IMG_2051.JPG

I also started on cleaning up the underside of the car and coating it in POR-15. Basically I am up to the front leaf spring mounts, once I get a chance going to finish it all the way to the firewall.

IMG_2057.JPG

Once I got the tailpanel where I thought it should be I started to fit the rest of the rear end.

IMG_2076.JPG

I have everything including the trim pieces under the taillights fitted.

IMG_2077.JPG

I'm lacking pics for fitting the passenger side quarter and the outer wheelhouse. Once I get a chance I'll hopefully keep this updated a little better.

chevyJeff1 likes this.
  6. hillbilly75

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    After what Photobucket pulled I took all of my photos off of their site and purchased my own cloud. It took a long time for me to organize the photos. I’m going to go back through and try to match the photos up as best as I can. Also hopefully post the new updates for the car.

7. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    I just read through your entire thread. Very inspiring to say the least. Nice work! Shame what Photobucket did to your thread and countless others on this and other forums.

hillbilly75 likes this.
  8. hillbilly75

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    Thanks!! Yeah it sucks what happened, in fact the thought of going through and putting the pics back in kept me from posting for a while. Think I had to walk away and regroup, I’m not an overly tech savvy guy so it takes a while for me to get this stuff done.

But now I’m back on it and I’ll keep this thread updated.

9. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    That's good news. I'll be following it. Saying I'm not "tech savvy" might be the understatement of the year. I wouldn't know where to start. The explanations of what you were doing were good enough that the pics weren't necessary, but who doesn't like pics in a thread? lol

10. Robert J Licher

Robert J Licher New Member

Jan 13, 2018