Hillbilly's Rented Mule

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by hillbilly75, Dec 29, 2013.

1. hillbilly75

hillbilly75 Veteran Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    Here is the final result, it took a lot of trial and error for a part no one will ever see. Basically I made it out of 3 pieces just so I had room to get the welding torch in to weld everything up.

IMG_1996.JPG

I did bolt the tailpanel back up to make sure that my mount for the bumper was the same and everything was good so it got welded in for good.

IMG_1997.JPG

2. hillbilly75

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    I had purchased some pieces from a member here and I finally got to fix an area on my quarter that has been bugging me. For whatever reason this area had some rust holes and the metal was really thin.

IMG_1984.JPG

So out with the old...
    IMG_2002.JPG

And after some welding and a little love with the hammer and dolly. This is before any filler.

IMG_2003.JPG

I also got the passenger side quarter cut off an it looks like I'm in it for well, basically everything in the picture.
    IMG_1987.JPG

chevyJeff1 likes this.
  3. hillbilly75

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    Once I got the quarter off there was some thin metal in the trunk I wanted to go after. This is after I cut the piece out. The brace that is under the hole was also removed. I had some work on the frame that I wanted to get done. So the patch panel and the brace will be welded back on hopefully soon.

IMG_1999.JPG

I also just got my trunk drop off for this side delivered so out went the old cobbled together one to make room for some new metal.
    IMG_2014.JPG

4. hillbilly75

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    Thanks for the encouragement!

I'm running into the same problem, my garage isn't heated so I just basically pick and choose days and try to maximize what I can get done when the weather is bearable.

5. hillbilly75

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    It's been a crazy few months, I have been working on the car but have been slacking on updates. The inner tailpanel was prepped and welded in.

IMG_2051.JPG

I also started on cleaning up the underside of the car and coating it in POR-15. Basically I am up to the front leaf spring mounts, once I get a chance going to finish it all the way to the firewall.

IMG_2057.JPG

Once I got the tailpanel where I thought it should be I started to fit the rest of the rear end.

IMG_2076.JPG

I have everything including the trim pieces under the taillights fitted.

IMG_2077.JPG

I'm lacking pics for fitting the passenger side quarter and the outer wheelhouse. Once I get a chance I'll hopefully keep this updated a little better.

chevyJeff1 likes this.