Hillbilly's Rented Mule

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by hillbilly75, Dec 29, 2013.

1. hillbilly75

hillbilly75 Veteran Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    The best thing I've found to do is to keep digging until you find good metal and then start from there. The front half of the car was not bad really. But the back half seems to be a different story. I'll just keep picking away at it and it'll come together. There is going to be a lot of new metal on this car by the time I'm done. Looking through other threads people have brought worse back from the dead.

2. hillbilly75

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    Removed the outer rocker panel, the inner panel is not too bad. I bought an inner rocker, so I think I'll cut it up to repair the original.

[​IMG]

Looks like the only metal that will need to be fixed is around the rocker drain.

[​IMG]

Took my time and got what I think is a good fit for the outer rocker.

[​IMG]

3. hillbilly75

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    Put everything together to get an idea of how it's fitting. I'll admit the panels do take a decent amount of persuasion to get them into position. But they are close for the first shot. Plus it's a nice boost to see how it'll look soon

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. hillbilly75

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    I am seeing that I will have some gap work to do on the doors.

[​IMG]

5. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    That will be easy to fix with some steel rod and your welder. Just go reeeeaaaaallllllly slow when you are adding metal to narrow the gap.

I assume this is as good as you can get and have to close the gap up with metal?

6. hillbilly75

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    Yeah I think this is as close as it's going to get. I spent quite a bit of time trying to move the panels around and finally settled on what you see. I'll grab some steel rod and tighten it up where it needs it. Looks like the bottom corner of door to rocker and the upper part of the door to quarter gap need it the most.

Hoping tomorrow I can get the inner rocker fixed and then get the outer rocker prepped for welding. I removed all of the panels today to get an idea of where I need to cut the inner rocker.

7. hillbilly75

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    Dug a little deeper and the rot in the driver's side just kept going..... It took a while but I got to the bottom of it.

[​IMG]

The torque box obviously needed to make an exit.

[​IMG]

8. hillbilly75

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    After a lot of measuring cutting and hoping I was able to start putting metal back INTO the car. Starting with the torque box:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have all of the panels made up to put this area back together once and for all. All in all I have panels made up or cut for the inner rocker, floor (2 pieces) and the inner wheel house.

9. hillbilly75

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    I've just been lazy and haven't been updating this thread like I should so I've got some catching up to do. I had to patch underneath before I could put the floor back in.

image.jpeg

I tacked the floor in, I was really happy to get everything lined up pretty well. Although the floor patch did fight me quite a bit. The bends were close but it took a lot of persuasion to get everything where it needed to be.

image.jpeg

And here it is fully welded and good to go.
    image.jpeg

I tackled the inner rocker while I was at it, I did not need to replace the whole thing so I cut until I hit good solid metal.
    image.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  10. hillbilly75

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    Once I got the inside buttoned up I still had to fix the inner wheelhouse. It had a decent size hole in it.
    image.jpeg

I have a pretty good supply of metal laying around so I cut a piece and got it installed.
    image.jpeg
    I really do not have a good pic if the rocker install but here is the bottom of the jamb after the outer rocker was installed.
    image.jpeg
    After a lot of fiddling with the gaps I settled in this. I am really pleased with how they turned out.
    image.jpeg

I've had the outer wheelhouse mocked up for a while and got it burned in. I cleaned up the whole area with a wire wheel and coated it with Por-15. I had previously sprayed the outer wheelhouse with epoxy. I try to get stuff coated before I install it since it's easier than trying to spray in there with a gun after its installed. image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017