Hillbilly's Rented Mule

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by hillbilly75, Dec 29, 2013.

1. hillbilly75

hillbilly75 Veteran Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    Yup but it'll get fixed soon enough

2. hillbilly75

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    I took out the rest of the quarter that some one had installed. I also figured out why they had welded in an "extension" on the flanged area. It was because the half quarter was cut too short, so out that came while I was at it. I cut the old quarter back when I test fit the replacement. It'll get but welded in this area. I think in the long run while it's more work it'll come out better.

[​IMG]

Test fitting the replacement:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. hillbilly75

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    I had my nephews to help hang the quarter, they thought it was cool helping. Before we knew it the quarter was trimmed and ready to go

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the area that'll get but welded. I have some more metal work to do but it'll hopefully look nice.

[​IMG]

4. hillbilly75

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    I wanted to fit the quarter before I started the repairs to the structure underneath. Figuring at least it's GM original and would give me some kind of reference. At least what's left of the original metal that is.

Put in an order for the following:

Torque box
    Rear seat pan
    Inner & outer rocker
    Outer wheelhouse
    Trunk drop off

I got some of it in on Friday and the rest should be here soon. Then the cutting can begin.:crazy:

5. hillbilly75

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    I had the day off today and had to run some errands. I came home to the rest of the order waiting for me. As you can tell the boxes never had a chance. I was pleased to see that they were all AMD panels that showed up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. hillbilly75

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    The other day while waiting on the parts I started to cut out some of the bad metal so I could make up some repair pieces.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the piece I cut out next to the repair patch going to weld in.

[​IMG]

I'm going to hold off on welding this piece in until I can get outer rocked off. I ordered an inner rocker and I'll see if I have to use all of it or I can just use it to fix the original.

7. hillbilly75

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    I cut out the outer wheelhouse and trunk drop off. I clean up the seams between the two panels. The wheelhouse took some doing but I'm glad I finally got it off. There was some rust in between the two that needed to be addressed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. hillbilly75

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    The front of the inner wheelhouse is all that needs attention.

[​IMG]

I cut out the offending piece with a Dremel, man I love that little tool! Get some cut off wheels for it and it makes cutting in an area like that simple.
    Here is the piece on the workbench, ignore the piece next to it, that's a failed attempt. Still not sure how I thought that was close.

[​IMG]

Here is the final piece welded in and ready to go. The darker spots are some left over EDP coating that I haven't gotten around to clean off yet.

[​IMG]

9. hillbilly75

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    A bunch of clamps and a few screws later and I'm finally putting metal back in that void, if only temporarily.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The panels actually fit pretty well. Only really minor tweaking is needed except for one area. For the life of me I cannot get this to line up. Granted no one will ever see it but I'll know it's there. After these are in for the final time I might revisit this and make it flow from the wheelhouse to the drop off better.

[​IMG]

10. jester0618

jester0618 Veteran Member

Dec 6, 2015
    Bryan, OH
    Seeing stuff like this is why I decided to replace my quarters. I'm finding thick bondo between panels around the wells. I can only imagine what's hiding there.