Hillbilly's Rented Mule

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by hillbilly75, Dec 29, 2013.

1. hillbilly75

hillbilly75 Veteran Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    Thanks guys! Well earlier I had joked that I was worried about digging into the quarter panels further and it's amazing what people do...

I used some stripping discs to strip off an awful lot of body filler to find the reason there was so much was that they never ground down the spot welds. So they just filled over them, seems like it might have been easier if they would have taken some time and finished the welds properly.

Here's some photos of what I've found so far:

There was filler over the seam, it never looked right, it looked off. Now I know why, all of these welds were not dressed and had to be ground down before I could drill them out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. hillbilly75

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    It continued down the length of the quarter panel .

[​IMG]

And even in the wheel wells there was body filler.

[​IMG]

They really botched the panel where the tail light is. It's just a lot of sloppy welding. It was hard to get a good pic of it but here they are.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I removed the filler piece under the tail light, I have a question for anyone who has removed them. I removed the self threading nut that is inside the trunk but was the other side welded or bolted to the body. I found mine to be welded, but it looks like they were supposed to be bolted.

[​IMG]

3. hillbilly75

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    Here is the reason why I started on the quarter replacement, as of right now it looks to be at least a quarter, rocker and an outer wheel house.

[​IMG]

And I almost forgot a tail panel, they pieced it back together. So it'll have to come out also.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. hillbilly75

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    This is where I'm at now, I got the upper seam separated. I started on the seam by the door and the wheel well.

[​IMG]

5. perkalator

perkalator Veteran Member

Aug 27, 2014
    kennewick wa
    The under tail light peices are spot welded on, no bolts.

6. hillbilly75

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    Ok I was wondering if the person who worked on this just zapped it in instead of finding the bolts.

Well I got a little done today, I had the day off so I went out and finished removing the spot welds by the door. I wasn't out there long cuz the weather has turned cold and it's downright chilly in the garage.

[​IMG]

Looks like I have some sheet metal work to do once I get the quarter off.

[​IMG]

7. hillbilly75

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    Well the old replacement quarter is off, well it literally fell off!!
    I used a body saw and cut around the tail light and the welds the I thought were ok around the wheel well were not attached to anything and the whole panel fell off. You can see along the upper edge of the quarter they welded in a piece of sheet metal I'm assuming to make up a gap.... That will have to get fixed also.
    [​IMG]

They didnt even take all of the old quarter off by the door, they just wrapped the new quarter around parts of the old one. The specks of yellow are parts of the original quarter. No wonder why when I was trying to align the doors before I started on the quarter I could never get a consistent gap there.

[​IMG]

It's just a whole lot of ugly underneath that needs to be fixed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And of course my custom shortened trunk drop :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

8. hillbilly75

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    This is just a little of what fell out once the quarter came off.

[​IMG]

Im working on a jig to put under the frame rails to support the rear end so I can get started on repairing the metal. Just a little added insurance that nothing moves while I'm cutting and pasting.

9. Wynder

Wynder Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

10. hillbilly75

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    I did some more digging on the car and found this patch:

[​IMG]

I was wondering if I'd find some galvanized metal on this car.
    [​IMG]

They pop riveted it in, smeared body filler over it and then sprayed undercoating over the whole mess. I got it out and it was covering this hole.

[​IMG]

Shop dog was not impressed with my findings.

[​IMG]

On the up side, they didn't prep the surface before spraying the undercoating so a few light smacks with a hammer and it spiders and falls off.. It's a wonder it stayed on as long as it did.