Hillbilly's Rented Mule

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by hillbilly75, Dec 29, 2013.

1. hillbilly75

hillbilly75 Veteran Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    I figured I'd start a project thread for my 1975 Camaro. I bought my car when I was 21 living in PA, I remember when I test drove it the car actually broke down. It had been sitting in a garage for 3 years and the battery would not hold a charge and the car just stalled out about a mile from the previous owners house. We settled on $2000 cash and I drove the car home 2 days later.

I drove the hell out the car for a couple of years, and the motor that was in the car let go on one of it's many "fun" runs. So replacing the engine was the only thing I really did to it. That is until I got out of college and landed a steady job managing a dairy farm. I went through most of the suspension and some other goodies and one of my best friends wanted it in his wedding. Fast forward to now after many moves and jobs the car always came with me. I decided that I could afford to do the car the way I wanted, I talked it over with my wife and she was on board with me as long as it did not get out of hand. My budget is modest but more than adequate for what I have in mind.

We recently sold our house and are moving out of the area where all of the work in the pictures took place. Instead of a 10 minute commute I am looking at an hour but we are going to be so much happier. We were living in a 2 family house with family members and decided it was time to move on. Now that we sold our house I am in an extended stay until we close on the new place which means that the car is in storage.

The body is in decent shape but the rockers and lower quarters will need attention. The roof will need some attention also because at some point in it's life a sunroof was installed and I just hate the way it looks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    In this last picture you can see the sunroof and also on the hood where the previous owner had put too tall of an air cleaner on the car and closed the hood.

2. hillbilly75

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    [​IMG]
    Here is a quick shot of the interior, as you can see it is an auto, but I have plans to fix that. I almost went with another automatic until I rode in a friend's 4-speed Malibu. Right after that ride I decided that my car needed 3 pedals.

This is what I ended up getting, a ST-10 which me and the wifey drove to New York to pick up after I purchased it on e-bay. This last summer we both went to Englishtown swapmeet, and picked up the Lakewood bellhousing for a steal. I think she had more fun than I did looking for some of the parts we picked up that day, and she was the one who found the bellhousing. She really enjoys these little car part excursions!
    [​IMG]

3. Blu-By-U 79Z

Blu-By-U 79Z Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Kentucky
    good lookin car man! Whats the future plans for it.

4. hillbilly75

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    My plan of attack is to start at the front and work my way back focusing first on the suspension, steering and brakes. But to do this I wanted to get at the subframe and clean and have it coated, also to fix any problems I would find. So first things first; remove sheet metal, motor and trans.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yanking the motor and trans, thankfully my neighbors at the time had no problem with me working late. As you could see the car did not fit in the garage so anything I did had to be able to be covered or sealed.
    [​IMG]

Everything out and had to clean up the driveway for the night.
    [​IMG]

5. hillbilly75

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    Thanks!! For the longest time I was not sure which direction I wanted to go with this car, but me and one of my friends love cars that handle. Basically we were both at a friends garage working on a Hudson gasser project of our buddy's and while drinking beer we started watching race footage on youtube of Giant's Despair near Wilkes Barre PA. That really is what got me going on building a car that would be able to run that hill, plus do some autocross. But I wanted to keep it dead simple and easy to work on, so I am going with a stock style suspension.

6. zhedding

zhedding Veteran Member

May 17, 2013
    decatur, illinois
    its ganna be a great car when you are finished!

7. hillbilly75

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    Thanks for the compliments, it means a lot!!
    Once the motor, trans and suspension were out I was left with this
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I looked around on here and found a way to keep the car semi-mobile, and put the subframe in the garage for some work.
    [​IMG]

8. hillbilly75

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    Once the subframe was actually inside I got to work stripping everything off of it.
    [​IMG]

The only real damage was the body mount
    [​IMG]

It was cut out and a repair piece was fitted, I took care of the welding with a borrowed welder from a buddy.
    [​IMG]

I ended up with this, I had to do both sides but it wasn't too bad at all
    [​IMG]

9. hillbilly75

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    I sent the frame off to be blasted and coated, and this is what I got back. I was going to go with black but decided to go with grey for something different.
    [​IMG]

I started by bolting up my new upper control arms from Pro-Touring F-Body, the lowers are stock but have the delrin bushings in them.
    [​IMG]

Got some more bolted to the subframe
    [​IMG]

I bought the Iroc steering box off of a member here, the steering is all Moog Parts painted with chassis black to match everything else. In this pic I have the stock sway bar bolted up but I ended up going with a set from Custom Works.
    [​IMG]

10. 2nd gen man

2nd gen man Veteran Member

Nov 28, 2010
    michigan