High idle in park, stalls in drive!!!

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by bigblock665, May 18, 2010.

1. arick793

arick793 Veteran Member

Oct 27, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    That's what she said!

haha anyway, you need to retard your timing a little, and you need to do it right. I put off buying a timing gun hoping that I could find a cheap used one, but when you see how many degrees the timing actually moves with just a small movement of the distributor, you'll be very glad that you bought a timing light and very upset with yourself for putting it off. With a gun you can adjust the base timing (with the vaccuum advance hose disconnected AND plugged) as well as make sure that the centrifugal advance is working. I believe all of your advance should be in before 3,000 RPM for a stock motor. You need to have your timing and ignition in good shape before you can really tune the carburetor. And mark the correct TDC on your balancer. I had someone bump the motor over while I plugged the #1 spark plug hole with my finger. When it gets to TDC it'll blow your finger out. From there I put a screwdriver in the spark plug hole to feel for the top of the piston, then turn the motor over slowly by hand until the piston is all the way at the top, when the screwdriver stops moving.

So to summarize, buy a timing gun, mark the correct TDC, buy a timing gun, and then let us know what happens.

2. bigblock665

bigblock665 Veteran Member

Apr 7, 2009
    NY
    did a little work on the car today... I changed the dizzy out with a known good one. I have yet to get a timing light but im taking it to my pop's shop this week.

I started the car today and ran ok cold. Still with a misfire but it idled @ 800 in neutral and 600 in drive. I took the car out and ran it a few miles. After I did so I noticed when i shifted out of gear I have an idle of 1100 but if I shift into gear the rpms drop to 600 where they should be. I turned off the car and restarted it, I had a idle of 800-900 in park and 600 in gear with no stalling and only a slight miss to the engine.

Any further ideas? Could this be a timing issue still or do I have a vac leak?

3. bigblock665

Apr 7, 2009
    NY
    I retarded the timing just enough to remove the spark knock upon startup. I just went out and started the car up (after it cooled a few hours) It started right up without touching the throttle. It had a slight miss to the engine but it idled in park @ 800rpm and 600 in gear. I did notice, when I look into the cowl of the hood when cursing at 65 I can see the engine shaking. What would cause a misfire at all speeds? I got new plugs and wires 3 years ago. All plugs ar burning light tan.

4. Thats what happened to me, as my weights were sticking and behaving awkward.
    changed the weights, springs and lubricated it - runs fine and steady since then.

Look at your springs - the need a bit of tension wen put on. I have an MrGasket spring kit, and the springs are a tad to long - so while in idle the weights flap around as the want - very very annoying. I can only get the car to run ok with the OE springs.

look for my posts about my distributor problems.

5. bigblock665

Apr 7, 2009
    NY
    I cleaned and lubed my mechanical advance but still have missfire at all speeds. Would the modual in the hei dizzy cause random misfire through all rpm's?

6. Well cleaning and lubing only solves the sticking weights issue. If you still have the huge endplay and especially that sideway play you have to solve these issues first.

Got a video of the misfiring engine / car?

I may mixed up with another thread, but do you now have a timing light? And a vacuum gauge handy?

7. bigblock665

Apr 7, 2009
    NY
    I swapped out the dizzy base so now its tight with no slop. Still have a constant random miss.

I have 17hg's vacuum. And yes I got my hands on a timing light.

8. how steady is your intial timing? does it change slighty if you select the opposite cylinder to #1?

When does the missfire occur mainly?

9. bigblock665

Apr 7, 2009
    NY
    I set my timing to 6*b tdc. Still have a misfire. I have a mis on idle mostly and little misfire while cursing. I did get the car to run better tho. Now the car starts cold and runs 700rpm in park and 500rpm in gear but when engine is all warmed up it idles at 500rpm in gear but once shifted to park rpms go up to 1000. If I turn the car off and restart it my idle in park is 900rpm. What could be my issue? I have manual choke and its totally disengaged.

10. 73 Z

73 Z Veteran Member Gold Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Los Angeles, Ca
    bad wires, valve job or adjustment, carb tuning/rebuilding/bad throttle shaft.