High idle in park, stalls in drive!!!

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by bigblock665, May 18, 2010.

1. bigblock665

bigblock665 Veteran Member

Apr 7, 2009
    NY
  2. bigblock665

Apr 7, 2009
    NY
    noticed my fuel filter will sometimes be full of fuel and other times its almost empty, what would cause this... A bad fuel pump, a hole in the line? Fuel filters should always be full unless it gets air in the system, right?

3. ejpii

ejpii Veteran Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Northeast
    Or a vapor lock issue. fuel boiling in the lines bofore the carb.

4. chevy77

chevy77 Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Santa Rosa CA
    possibly a pump shot issue? and or shooter size issue if you cant get the fuel into the carb to start the main metering system you can get a stumble

5. bigblock665

Apr 7, 2009
    NY
    ok I have an update.....
    Replaced my carb with a fully rebuilt 4160 carb.
    I no longer have vacuum leaks.
    I set my floats right and adjusted mixture screws for highest manifold vac.
    I cannot use a timing light to dial in my timing because the timing mark is 180* off. So I set my timing to get highest rpms at idle then lowered curb idle to about 700rpm.

If I start the engine cold it will idle by itself after 10-20sec. of feathering the throttle. I can walk away and let idle and the car will stay running. While engine starts to warm up I can put the trans in drive and the idle speed will only drop to 500rpms. The engine seems to have a "slight" missfire when cold or warm.

Once I drive the car a little bit and get back home and hold the car in gear with the brake on it sits and idles and seems to stay running just fine but still with a slight missfire. If I pop the car out of gear my rpms shoot up to 1000r's and hold there with an ever so slight misfire.

Any ideas? Im stumped....

added notes: I replaced cap wires and plugs.

6. bigblock665

Apr 7, 2009
    NY
    Just went out and fired the car up. I tapped the gas once turned the key and fired immediately. Turned car off... Then I just turned the key without giving it any gas, car fired right up.

The car starts idles and drives fine... Seems to have good power going down the road but still have high idle when engine is warm and out of gear.

7. bigblock665

Apr 7, 2009
    NY
    I just wanted to add, my spark plugs are all burning light brown... So my mixture has to be right... right?

8. bigblock665

Apr 7, 2009
    NY
    Another thing I noticed is... when I get the engine up to operating temp and shut it off and go to restart it the starter has a hard time turning over the engine like my timing may be to far advanced.
    Will this cause a high idle issue???

And turning the dizzy clockwise retards timing correct?

9. bigblock665

Apr 7, 2009
    NY
    The 4 posts prior to this one is how the car is running now... So if anybody has any input only respond to the latest posts. The early ones are with a different carb setup!

Thanx, and any help would be awesome!

10. nicks78camaro

nicks78camaro Veteran Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Not to hijack thread, but if the idle is fine and it stalls when you floor it, what does it mean? It's like the complete opposite of what's happening to your's.