High idle in park, stalls in drive!!!

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by bigblock665, May 18, 2010.

1. bigblock665

bigblock665 Veteran Member

Apr 7, 2009
    NY
    Took the old camaro out last weekend... Was going to check the timing and to my surprise there was not a single timing mark on the dampener... wtf!:confused:
    So I couldn't hook up the timing light.

I left the timing where it was at and worked on my exhaust, I pulled the cats and replacement muffler to make way for 2 dynomax bullets!!!

I fired the car and loved the sound but I noticed It idled higher out of gear more-so than with the replacement exhaust.. Witch you would expect due to better flow. But now when I put the car in gear it wants to stall immediately! In park it has to idle at 1500rpm just to run 500rpm in gear.

Does this sound like a timing issue or a carb issue... And If I make a timing mark on the dampener what should I set my timing at for optimal power and torque??? Like 8* right? The motor is only a 305cid stock engine besides an edelbrock performer intake "dual plain" with a holley 650 dual feed.

2. wood0691

wood0691 Veteran Member

Apr 24, 2010
    Birmingham Alabama
    i would say a stock 305 with a holley double pumper is way to much gas for it. just my .02 but i would change the carb if you have another one handy just for poops and giggles and see what happens.

3. bigblock665

Apr 7, 2009
    NY
    Once I step into the gas that lil 305 will light the tires! But the idle just plain sucks!

I got the float level set to where you pull the sight plug and shake the car side to side only a little bit of fuel dribbles out, so that seems right. I got 1 1/2 turns on each idle screw.

When you try to putt along the car wants to stall, but if you put it to the floor it runs awesome... Its the very first 305 to put me back in the seat like that one did... Of course nothing like a built 350 but I was still impressed!

I don't think the carb is to big because the engine loves full throttle!!!

4. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    The timing tab may be at the 12-o'clock position on that motor.
    (I had a heck of a time finding it on my old 305.)

5. steve_1978

steve_1978 Veteran Member

May 5, 2010
    ontario canada
    you may have a vacuume leak at the base of the carb or around the intake manifold, would cause verry high idle but no power to keep running under light load. take some ether and start the engine spray the ether around the gasket joints and the rubber lines. if it is leaking the rpm will jump slightly. hope it helps

6. marlin

marlin Veteran Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Wantagh, NY
    I agree on the vacuum leak...

7. bigblock665

Apr 7, 2009
    NY
    Thanx steve78, Ill have to check... It has a new gasket but it my be defective or the carb simply needs to be tightened down. The vacuum gauge did show an ever so slight vacuum flutter.

8. steve_1978

May 5, 2010
    ontario canada
    no problem, keep us updated

9. bigblock665

Apr 7, 2009
    NY
    I found TDC on my number 1 cylinder and marked the dampener... I adjusted the timing to 8* adv. and replaced the carb gasket and vac lines. Still has a slight flutter in the vacuum but it runs 10x better. There is still a high idle 1000rpm in park and 500-550rpm in gear. Not as bad as it was but still needs to be worked out... Ideas welcome!!!

10. steve_1978

May 5, 2010
    ontario canada
    did you adjust the idle stop screw on the carb? just a thought. are you running power breaks by the way? maby you have a bad diaphram in the booster? plug off the booster line and see what happens