Here we go again...73 Z28

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by brooksman9, May 3, 2014.

1. clay's70

clay's70 Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

Pat, you are the man!! It's coming along.

brooksman9 likes this.
  2. Jas0n

Jas0n Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 27, 2010
    Verona, ITALY
  3. brooksman9

brooksman9 Veteran Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Olive Branch, MS
    I hate doors (no pics). Today I removed the driver fender so I could adjust the gap on the driver door. Not bad, moved it forward a little and needed to adjust the striker. Got it a little too high and the damn door is stuck. Beat and kicked on it for an hour or more trying to get it opened. Still stuck. Going to slip a tow strap around it tomorrow and latch on with the cherry picker. Then I will remove all the hinge bolts so I can get the damn thing opened and start from scratch. :(

4. McCune

McCune Veteran Member

Aug 22, 2015
    st.george utah
    I’ll bet you have worn out latches. Check them out closely when you get the door open.

brooksman9 likes this.
  5. brooksman9

Jun 10, 2007
    Olive Branch, MS
    Well it took me about five hours to get that damn door off. Still wound up prying it out and cutting the striker with a sawzall. Haven't looked at the latch yet. F'n door!

6. clay's70

clay's70 Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

7. brooksman9

Jun 10, 2007
    Olive Branch, MS
    Got the latch out. Sprayed it down with carb cleaner, wd-40, pb blaster and lithium grease. Working pretty good. Straightened up a few of the bent places from violent removal. Have it soaking in some old used motor oil for now. I will work on it some more tomorrow to see how well it will work. Then I'll decide if I want to replace it or not. Ill grab some pics of the door gap tomorrow too. Not as much as I wanted but as far forward as it will go. If I want any more I'll have to cut the quarter panel which I do not want to do. Gap is not quite a 1/4".

8. brooksman9

Jun 10, 2007
    Olive Branch, MS
    Gaps...pass side

IMG_0473.JPG

Driver side

IMG_0474.JPG

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  9. brooksman9

Jun 10, 2007
    Olive Branch, MS
    Latch is working fine. I think the main problem was it was extended too far from the jamb and was hung on the striker. Installed the old one with one less washer. Door is as far forward as it will go.

10. Double R Restorations

Double R Restorations Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 11, 2002
    VA
    Glad you have it going your way now Pat. These doors are so heavy!

brooksman9 likes this.