Herb Adams front spring eye brackets

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by roadrace2, Dec 18, 2017.

1. masck1

masck1 Veteran Member

Mar 25, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    I have a set of 5 leaf rear springs off a road race car that has a different front spring eye from stock. The inside dia is slightly smaller and had two what ended up being upper a arm bushing installed instead of the stock solid bushing . I appears this set up is something similiar, the rear shackles were also 4 1/2" between the bolts .

2. NOT A TA

NOT A TA Veteran Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Delray Beach Florida
    Here's how I do them. The one shown in the pics is an older version of the PTFB set up but procedure is the same for newer models and various brands.

1. Use a drill to walk around the rubber bushing of the old one and draw it out.
    2. Use a tapered drift to buckle the shell of the rubber bushing, start it in the little corner where you see it in pic below.
    3. Knock shell out of eye with a blunt drift.
    4. Clean up spring eye.
    5. Use a threaded rod with a couple nuts and whatever assortment of washers etc. to press the new bushing in.
    6. Use plenty of grease and remember these are not maintenance free and should be lubed periodically.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jon Randolph likes this.
  3. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Sep 8, 2015
    Canada
    I have 4 summers/20k miles on my ride, original mounts modded and windowed for the spherical bearing, street, autocross, Roadcourse and drags with 1.7 60ft, no cracks or ovaling of holes, o issues if done correctly, and I drive it hard!!

John Wright likes this.
  4. hquackenboss

hquackenboss New Member

Jan 13, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Raising the rear has a positive impact on traction.

5. hquackenboss

hquackenboss New Member

Jan 13, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    A spherical bearing is much preferred to a tubular bushing. As the car leans, a tubular bushing will tend to bind, it puts the bolt in bending, and if the bolt doesn't bend, the spring has to twist. All of these effects are undesirable. A stock rubber bushing allows the spring eye to rotate relative to the bolt.

6. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Sep 8, 2015
    Canada
    [QUOTE

I hope others chime in, but many people, including me, have had daily driver street cars with spherical bearings in suspension pivots (although I haven't personally used this one on a street car), and although there is higher impact harshness (hitting a pot hole), particularly with front lower control arm bushings, it isn't a huge issue.[/QUOTE

^^X2, I use No rubber or Urethane bushings in any pivot point, spherical, del a lum, or combination of. Smooth road, smooth ride, rough road,rough ride, but very tolerable IMHO

John Wright likes this.
  7. Skip Fix

Skip Fix Veteran Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Katy,Texas
    My 78 has solid lower control arm bushings(stock car) Herb Adams upper, solid front spring eye and the ride is still softer than the full sized 85 Ford Bronco I drove!

Pinion angle may not affect the anti squat but it does affect hock a leaf spring and even 4 link hook. read some chassis articles for drag cars there are recommended pinion down angles, Differ for coil vs leaf. the leaf wraps slightly and the pinion angle changes under launch and acceleration. I think there are also some cam views of rear ends showing it.

Just lie 4 links you can change the instant center(what anti squat does)does not mean you do not keep the pinion angle the same.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  8. Jon Randolph

Jon Randolph Member

May 22, 2017
    One thing I don't understand is why Global West is the only pro-touring leaf spring supplier that I know of that uses dual spherical bearings in the leaf (Cat-5). It seems as though it would be the ultimate setup for leaf spring articulation but I see very few people with that setup online or let alone even talk about it. Combined with the delalum bushing in the frame, I imagine the lateral stability is comparable to delrin but easier to keep lubricated with the grease fitting. I'm sure these various features are why Cat-5's are not a cheap spring to buy.

This is a pretty good demonstration video of articulation for you guys...

Other leaf spring suppliers go spherical in the front eye, rubber in the rear eye and poly/delrin in the frame as the "upgrade". I don't want to downplay them but it seems as though it falls short in the purpose of having a spherical joint in the front leaf spring eye.

For you guys interested in the Global West mounts. I've talked to and purchased from them before. They sell the mounts but it's one of those things you have to call in for. PTFB and other places are like this as well. There's certain things you can buy that are not listed on the website.

rchydzik likes this.
  9. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

May 19, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Question: if I can generate this modification with factory brackets and a cutoff wheel and drill, what would be the advantage of buying aftermarket ones?

10. Jon Randolph

Jon Randolph Member

May 22, 2017
    Aftermarket pieces are premade for you. Are yours rusty at all? Do you have time or money?