Help with Tach on '70 Z28

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by chevyles, Oct 22, 2017.

1. chevyles

chevyles Veteran Member

Sep 12, 2000
    Bay area, CA
    Hi folks,
    Many years ago I put an Accel 300+ ignition box in my '70 Z28. It has performed flawlessly and I have no desire to replace it- love the adjustable rev limiter. The problem is, as soon as it was installed I lost my tach- as in it simply doesn't work. The needle has sat at zero for all these years. FWIW, the distributor is the MSD billet.

A long time ago I got some info on a part that would supposedly fix the signal to the tach but the link for that product died before I acted on it- my bad. It really hasn't been a huge deal because I know the car so well (I'm the original owner), and I know the top speeds in each gear so I have good shift points when running it out. However, I'll be putting a 396 stroker in soon that will rev harder and have a different redline.

So, I'm hoping one of the resident electrical gurus here will know how to solve this problem. It would be awesome to see that needle moving again! Thanks for whatever help anyone can provide.
    Les

2. chevyles

chevyles Veteran Member

Sep 12, 2000
    Bay area, CA
    I got the answer in Troubleshooting & Diagnosis. All good now.

3. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    It would be nice if you shared the answer in case someone else has the same problem.

4. chevyles

chevyles Veteran Member

Sep 12, 2000
    Bay area, CA
    True- here you go.