Help with nail removal

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by 79RedZ, Aug 2, 2013.

1. 79RedZ

79RedZ Veteran Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Hamilton,MI
    So this is the lean to on my barn.
    [​IMG]
    As you can see there isn't much of a pitch. When the snow began to melt this spring it just sat on the lean to roof. Which caused some of the water that was coming off the main part of the barn to drain inside my barn. My barn isn't finished off inside yet so it just made a mess. But I want to finish it off inside so I'm going to take off 2' on the left side wall of the lean to.

Here is the problem.
    [​IMG]
    Anybody have experience with removing these little buggers. I plan on reusing the steel on the barn and I don't want to beat it up as I try to pull out the nails. I'll be replacing the nails so I don't care what happens to them I just need to be careful with the steel. I only have about 500 to pull out.:eek:
    I messed around with a claw hammer a little bit but I'm afraid that's going to beat the steel up more than I want. Anybody got tips or is there a tool that I need to buy? Help!

2. green 1977

green 1977 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 18, 2003
    On Wisconsin!
    Have you tried using a putty knife under the pry bar (hammer) to shield the metal

3. 79RedZ

79RedZ Veteran Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Hamilton,MI
    No I haven't. What I did try was a shim that you would use for doors and windows. I laid that under my claw hammer and tried to pull but the head of the nail just wanted to fold the edges up. I'm guessing that the nails may also be ringshank.

4. Batman

Batman Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Mission Viejo, CA, USA
    Angle grinder on the head to grind down to the shank, pop the panel off, and then use a set of nippers to pull the rest of the nail out (or hammer the rest into the board it's nailed into).

5. harbone66

harbone66 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Central Illinois
    How about Vise Grips with a small slide hammer installed?.

[​IMG]

6. 79RedZ

79RedZ Veteran Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Hamilton,MI
    Hmm, interesting idea. What aisle would I find this in?:crazy:

7. Widowmaker01

Widowmaker01 Veteran Member

Apr 23, 2009
    North East, PA