Help with Compressor Hard Line ideas

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by Codemonkey17, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Codemonkey17

Codemonkey17 Veteran Member

Dec 31, 2011
    Walla Walla, WA
    So have made very little progress short of cleaning up the garage, and getting my tools hooked up and tested so I can start body work shortly. Got all my parts moved and stored in a loft my Father-In-Law and I built in his shop a few weeks back. All small parts have been organized and inventoried into totes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

This week had an electrician out to install a couple 220 outlets for my air compressor and welder. Got the welder hooked up and running last night.

[​IMG]

Question for everyone about how to setup my lines for the compressor. My idea was to get a short swivel hose and mount that to the wall nearest the outlet. Hook that to a rapid air system that will be routed up and down the side wall of the garage. After the first dip install a filter and quick connect for a 50 ft spooled hose that will be ceiling mounted this will be strictly for air tools. Then from there at the end of the rapid system install a higher quality filter and this will be used strictly for HVLP guns. Anything I'm missing short of building a base with some rubber dampeners for the air compressor (this will be done this weekend)?

Pictures or examples of your setup would help greatly as this is the first setup I've done and don't mind spending the money to do it correctly the first time. Something like the rapid air was my first choice since it mounts externally and the house I'm in currently is a rental. Doing it this way would allow me to move the lines with me to the house we will eventually purchase.

2. Goodwrench1965

Goodwrench1965 Veteran Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Charlotte NC
    Mount the compressor outside with some sort of suitable protection from the weather. Route lines through wall then as you suggest sounds good. You'll get immediately tired of the noise in the garage. You don't need rubber mounts.

3. Edem_Alive

Edem_Alive Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 18, 2015
    Montana
    Something like this is good for gravity drains + your filters

[​IMG]

4. Codemonkey17

Codemonkey17 Veteran Member

Dec 31, 2011
    Walla Walla, WA
    That's exactly what i was thinking and at the end branch out to 2 separate filters a high quality for paint and a lower quality for tools. Looks like this will be the way I go.

5. fester

fester Veteran Member

Jun 26, 2016
    Central Texas
    If it is a rental, you might look into schedule 80 PVC pipe that can be threaded and glued. cheaper than copper and not as sensitive to temperature change and condensation. 3/4 or 1 inch dia should work. Just a thought, Bill

6. 71flh

71flh Veteran Member

Jun 1, 2010
    DFW
    Running side to side is a better choice than up and down. The pipe should be tilted slightly so water has to go to one place, not get trapped in multiple places, that have to be manually drained before and after the system used--everytime or there will be water in the lines.
    For the thousandth time, no PVC.

7. fester

fester Veteran Member

Jun 26, 2016
    Central Texas
    Didn't mean to kick your dog. I'm new to this site and probably missed something to do with PVC. I use it in my shop and have had no issues. If I really had a choice I would use schedule 10 stainless with Victaulic fittings on the main line and Swagelock on the smaller lines.

8. dale68z

dale68z Veteran Member

May 14, 2009
    Glendale Arizona
    I use sch40 3/4" PVC, has worked well for 25 years. Maybe it is better in hot temps... I live in phx. I have 2 compressors, one 15 cfm, other 17 cfm.

Totally agree put the compressor outside, it is too noisy in the garage.

9. fester

fester Veteran Member

Jun 26, 2016
    Central Texas
    I added a 12 X 25' lean to, with 2 sides enclosed, to on the back of my shop for mowers portable welder etc. I put my compressor in the protected corner and ran the pipe through the wall, I can barely hear it kick on.

10. linenoise

linenoise Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 17, 2000
    CO
    I am with you guys. I have compressor in my three car. It is so annoying trying to talk to someone when it is running. Hell if you are in there long enough running air tools by yourself you will get a headache from it running. My plan is to move the compressor to the backyard and increase tank volume. Tunnel under a concrete walkway and then core drill through 4" shed concrete pad for compressor line and power run on a edge(2.5" hole should do it. I am also going to put some of those little 5 or 10 gallon portable tanks upside down in garage attic area as a local air cache in garage since that is free space anyways. Switch in garage to kill it without walking to shed in case I am not using it for a while. Problem is shed is downhill at like 15% or more grade so I need a drain on the shed side which will be fun since it is under ground there at lowest point under pad.