HELP !! Need NEW Leaf Springs

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Guisinger, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Guisinger

Guisinger New Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Dixon, Mo
    I am starting to restore my 1970 Camaro (SS 396/375hp) and I need to find some replacement springs. They are suppose to be F41 coded (125lb/in) 5 leaf but mine have several leafs broken. All that I look at are either drop or are 95lb/in rated. The places I've called act like I'm crazy because "ALL camaro's came with 95lb/in springs" or they haven't heard of the F41 suspension. Also what would the rear sway bar diameter be and where could I find one of them also (mines missing). Thanks for the help.
    Buck

2. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

20170814_142441.jpg 20170814_142506.jpg Dayton 21-297 vs OE spring.b.jpg Dayton Spring 21-297.jpg I'm trying to remember if members, Scott Kiehne, Mike Steitz , Joey Gray have all
    bought/installed correct SITTING 5 leaf springs or if they all had to play the re-arching
    game.
    I did a ton of research for my 73 R/S LT small block project
    and found the DAYTON SPRINGS 21-297 to appear to "LOOK"
    like my stock 73' 5 leafs

I cant remember where I left of conversing with the Dayton sales rep
    on the 70 Z28 five leaf ?????

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    Guisinger likes this.
  3. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    The rear swaybar should be the common 9/16" size. It was used on all the F41 equipped cars except the Z28 which had the larger 11/16" bar in the early years. In the later years, the 9/16" remained popular for F41 while the Z28 went to 1 1/8". The later cars used a 1 piece clamp on the downlinks so they aren't cosmetically correct on a '70, but they do fit the car. Also, Pontiac used thousands of the 9/16" rear bars on Firebirds.

Guisinger likes this.
  4. Splicer70

Splicer70 New Member

Jun 15, 2017

5. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 22, 2003
    Endicott, NY
    I honestly said "OMG!" out loud when I saw your post! I went through HELL with changing the rear springs on our 78 Camaro Berlinetta!

In a nut shell, what happened is the vendor's help mixed Nova rear leaf springs with Camaro leaf spring! They are identical (eye to centerbolt to eye) in length BUT NOT IN ARCH! Nova springs have a 3"+ higher arch so when they're installed on a Camaro the shocks won't reach the mounting holes! What a PITA that was to change them three times!

Here's my opinion: find a local spring shop (we have Tri Cites Spring, Binghamton, NY) and get the springs from them. They re-arched the Nova springs to the Camaro specification and the place that I bought them from paid the $100 to have it done.

Guisinger likes this.
  6. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 22, 2003
    Endicott, NY
    I said "OMG!" out loud when I saw your post! I went through this with our 79 Camaro Berlinetta = trying to get the correct rear leaf springs for it!

The place that I got them from (a large internet Camaro parts supplier) had a problem = someone there mixed 1968 and up Nova rear leaf springs in with the Gen II Camaro springs because they measured the same (eye center bolt to eye) BUT the Nova springs have a 3" higher arch because the Nova is heavier in the back! So when a Nova spring is installed in a Camaro the shocks don't reach the mounts!

TRUST ME! Go to a local spring shop and buy them there! For example, we have Triple Cities Spring in Binghamton, NY who are EXPERTS on springs as that's their business. OBTW, the Camaro parts warehouse did send me a second set which were also WRONG. They credited my credit card the $100 that Tri Cites charged to re-arch those spring to Camaro specs.

7. ZRODDER

ZRODDER Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Southwest USA
    Question: Are you wanting 100% original? If not, spring technology has surpassed the old stuff. Look at Calvert Racing Mono Leafs. While your at it, look at their Cal Tracks too.

Guisinger likes this.
  8. ZRODDER

ZRODDER Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Southwest USA
    Forgot to mention, I have a set of stock 72 or 73s too. A friend has the car, so I can ask for sure.

9. hubedobeedo

hubedobeedo 3rd times a charm

Jul 18, 2013
    Huntertown,IN
    eaton detroit spring has a excellent selection, and can give a adjusted ride height.i got stock but with 1 inch lower ride height and they worked out great.currently all remaining weight of parts are not in car,but it measures 7 inch at rockers.tires are 2756515 rear 1956515 front edlebrock shocks, energy suspension bushings .i went with 5 leaf in rear and a/c springs in front(for higher spring rate).eventualy will be changing to more of a corner burner.

Attached Files:

Guisinger likes this.
  10. hubedobeedo

hubedobeedo 3rd times a charm

Jul 18, 2013
    Huntertown,IN
    more pics

Attached Files:

Guisinger likes this.