Help finding a 1974 camaro gas tank sending unit (2 lines)

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by Sparx, Apr 7, 2008.

1. 74BIBELOT

74BIBELOT Veteran Member

Not to much help, but here's a 74 Camaro gas tank.
    [​IMG]

2. Sparx

Sparx Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Nebraska
    both gastanks.com & http://www.inlinetube.com Said Sorry, we do not have a the sending unit you need. on the pic of the 74 tank is there 3 lines ? I know my fuel pump has 2 lines, supply & return. think a 76 will work ?

I'm changing this because my gas gauge quit. well it kinda works on & off, more off than on. then it shows over full or under empty. the gauge checked out and so is all wiring. its done this since I bought the car. the guy I bought the car from said the ground was off, but it's not, but I cleaned & checked the ground. I had the cluster out, and checked the harnes with a meter.

thanks

3. 74BIBELOT

74BIBELOT Veteran Member

The two lines (right) are supply & return.
    the other one (left) is the VAPOR return line(from charcoal cannister)

4. Sparx

Sparx Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Nebraska
    did 74 have a charcoal cannister ? I know mine don't now. but who knows ? the vapor line run up LH side ? maybe I can find it if it's there.

thanks

5. Sparx

Sparx Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Nebraska
    can't find a new one anywhere, I really would like to fix my gas gauge, I found one for a 76 but everyone says a 76 is not the same.

can anyone help ?

6. olstyle

olstyle Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Crestwood IL.
    Would you be interested in a used one from a 74? We just moved a few weeks ago and I still have some camaro stuff in storage. I have my old tank with sending unit and I bought a new tank............but I can not remember if the new tank came with a sending unit(it may have). Give me a couple days to get into storage and see. if I have two of them I will check the extra one with my digital volt meter to see if it is good and message you back.

7. olstyle

Jan 27, 2008
    Crestwood IL.
    got my 2 sending units out of storage today, but I can not remember how to check then to make sure they both work. When checked with my DVM I get 0 at top and bottom, but get weird readings while moving the float. No matter where I stop moving the float I get 0 reading. That seems to weird. I tried a search for sending units on how to check them but can not find it. I know I've seen it before just can't find it. Maybe someon can help out with the proper way to check them.

8. olstyle

Jan 27, 2008
    Crestwood IL.
    finaly found other post on installing sending unit. Looks like ohms should be about zero at bottom(empty) and about 90 at top(full). Well looks like both mine are no good, so that means I will need one too someday.

9. MadMike

MadMike Administrator Staff Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Dawsonville Georgia
    From my earlier post, but improved for easier viewing:

Here's what happens when you use a 1976+ sending unit with a 1974 tank & line set:

[​IMG]

I knew this would be the issue prior to getting into it and will "recontour" the fuel lines to be closer to where they both expect each other to be.

I compared the new stuff against my old stuff. The 74 line stops in front of the tank... it doesn't wrap around like depicted in the picture.

That's what the issue is. It's an easy fix or adaptation. The other option I have is to simply cut the 90 degree bend off the sending unit at the point where the 74 sending unit originally ended.

10. olstyle

Jan 27, 2008
    Crestwood IL.
    yes .......I would just take the option of cutting off the 90 and putting a tiny flare on the end to hold on the hoses.