HEI question

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by rumrunner, Feb 2, 2008.

1. THOMAS81Z

THOMAS81Z Veteran Member

Sep 30, 2000
    new market NH
    i went thru 3 modules going from colorado to nh:( i wish i knew then what i know now:whine:

2. hucks 70

hucks 70 Veteran Member

Jun 4, 2004
    millstadt ill USA
    i had a alt i took to the parts house .said diode was good .installed ,kept draining the bat. had it check at a diff parts house tested bad ,so i guess it depends on where you take it and how much exp they have ,same thing on my dizzy.had it checked at oreilly;s kid said it was good .took it to another shop old guy tested it ,looks like you got a bad module ,changed it out been running for the last 2 years .you can buy a module pretty cheap.

3. asphaltburner

asphaltburner Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 11, 2003
    Ault, CO USA
    Yo! I'll put it this way, if the coil weakens, the spark weakens,...if the module fails, you get nothing. I would replace the coil, but I would never hesitate to replace the module just for the simple reason that it's OLD. Summit Racing has both of these items, and even high performance versions, at www.summitracing.com for cheap. Be sure your electrical supply is up to the job too,...charging AND voltage. And if problems persist, you'll be checking wires for proper voltage and ground. Todd.

4. asphaltburner

asphaltburner Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 11, 2003
    Ault, CO USA
    Yo! Almost nobody in the business knows old mechanics anymore. Old stuff is lost knowledge. I KNOW, I deal with these folks all the time, and you'd better know it yourself, 'cause indifference and ignorance abound!
    Seek out, and trust, experience.
    Another "soapbox item" of mine, modern replacement parts are crap compared to "old stuff" (I guess that would be stuff nearly 30 years old), so if you can repair it or refurbish it, best do it,...otherwise, replace it with new and best, and hope it doesn't fail! Todd.

5. rumrunner

rumrunner New Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Atlanta Georgia
    Okay everybody, it's running! I just dropped in a complete new dist., I was working by myself and as usual the dist. wouldn't drop all the way down, I remember as a kid the chevys you can have someone put pressure on the dist. and bump the starter and it'll drop in.
    Well like i said i was by myself and thought, hell it may work and i may not, i bumped the starter and it dropped in!
    I tightened it down where it was before and hooked up the 12v and the wires, turned it over and it spit once, backed the timing a hair and zowwie! it cranked right up!
    Also have a new set of wires to put on should help also, did notice the carb isn't against the idle stop and it's still idling fast, guess there's a leak somewhere.
    Put a nice set of RS tial lights in, and two god grills, also removed the black paint from the chrome grill surround where some idiot had painted it black, looking way better now.
    Thanks alot for all it input on the ignition problem, I really appreciate it!!!
    Well as i was working on it, a guy I know came by and wants to buy it, now what?

6. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    He can't buy it if it isn't for sale.
    But..... Everybody has a price. Can he meet yours?

It's worth much more running!
    Glad you got it worked out. :D

7. rumrunner

rumrunner New Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Atlanta Georgia
    Well, I do have some other cars to keep me busy!
    71 Dodge demon 440 auto
    73 Dodge Dart Sport 400, 4 speed, Dana, Turbocharged
    79 Z28 406, brodix heads and Comp Cams kit, 4 speed.
    But I do like the look of this 70 RS/SS