HEI question

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by rumrunner, Feb 2, 2008.

1. TheFly

TheFly Guest

Really a good GP sorensen only cost me $15

2. brick_haus

brick_haus Veteran Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Somis, Ca.
  3. rumrunner

rumrunner New Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Atlanta Georgia
    I just took the module and coil to the parts house, both check good, I'm scratching my head now!

4. TheFly

TheFly Guest

Do the timing light test like I said, make sure its sparking every time.
    When a pickup goes bad it can spark but not right like spark spark pause pause spark sprak..... should be no pause just a constant spark.

That or your wires are bad, don't matter if ya think they are good, both 2nd n 3rd gen eat ign parts like candy.

Dunno why but both of mine have had odd problems that new stuff fixed, even when I didn't think it was time.

5. hucks 70

hucks 70 Veteran Member

Jun 4, 2004
    millstadt ill USA
  6. MRWRENCHMAN

MRWRENCHMAN Guest

check the green and white wires from the pick-up coil to mode. these wire flex every time the timming moves . the usely brake at the pick-up coil end'-.

7. rumrunner

rumrunner New Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Atlanta Georgia
    okay, will check them, thanks for the tip.

8. Damon

Damon Veteran Member

Nov 16, 2000
    Philly area
    You have a tachometer in your car? If so, try unplugging it from the TACH lead on the HEI and see how she doesn then. If the tach or the wiring to it goesd bad it can provide an alternate ground path (bad) so the module can't do it's job properly to alternately charge and fire the coil.

Could be either the coil or the module after that, but it's not usually a pickup problem- random misfires or no spark at all would be more like the kind of problem you get with a flaky pickup. Don't forget there's also that little capacitor wiring harness as well- capacitors rarely fail but when they do they can also give you a weak spark.

9. TheFly

TheFly Guest

try n read more huck, he said it was just tested as good.

10. 77LT1

77LT1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 29, 2007
    Jax, FL
    I agree. I had the same problem on a trip to Atlanta form Jax. It would run fine cold then it would get warmed up and run like crap and quit. Let it cool off and everything was all better. Changed the module and it ran fine.

He's right about the pickup problem. That also happened to me once. If you don't have to pull the dizzy, then don't. Can be more trouble than it's worth.

B

Last edited: Feb 3, 2008