HEI bolted valve cover plug wire brackets

Discussion in '1974 Specific' started by ronzz572, Nov 27, 2013.

1. ronzz572

ronzz572 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 8, 2007
    imperial pa
    Anyone know if all the late build 1974 camaros got the long spark plug brackets to mount the spark plug wire clips? Or is it only the 74 z28? I am in need of 4 for my late build z28. Anyone ever see them on 75 camaros or base v8 74 or 75 sport coupes?

2. Z28PILOT

Z28PILOT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Emerald Isle , NC
    I need one to complete my car, it got lost when I rebuilt the heads:mad:

I have looked at every kind of car I can think of , the 75 and up used a different type of holder for the big HEI wires. The 74 L82 corvette , had points distributor only. I had hoped the 77z used this one , but it was different too....ugh.

Some GMC 454 had HEI in 74 , but that was a BB , so I doubt. They used the SB wire holder.

I am pretty sure after three years of searching options that this part was a weird little item used only 1/2 year ....just on HEI Z28 74 Camaros.

I even made a huge effort at the Carlisle, PA, this year to find one .....I sorted though tons of boxes of ignition brackets :crazy: ......

I did run into a guy that buys out junk from of old service stations . I need to send him a pic ....when's get time and he said he would look. Thinks he has seen these before.

I'm surprised , there are no NOS ones out there, surely there were lots of spares made......kinda need a part number.....which will not be in AiM, or at least I didn't see its part number.

I doubt if somebody has one they know what it goes to....it's so unusual

3. 74Z28GC3

74Z28GC3 Veteran Member

Sep 1, 2000
    North Pole, Alaska
    I have to agree with Fred about all of the items he mention. Even though my 74 Z28 came with the point distributor, I have been looking years on Ebay for parts and I have never seen a set of them on it for sale. I do not need them, but looks like they are a one year only part.

There is probably some of old stock at a dealership that is just sitting on the shelf.

If I locate some, I will let you guys know about them.

George

4. 7T8 LT

7T8 LT Veteran Member

Put me on the list also thanks

5. ronzz572

Feb 8, 2007
    imperial pa
    Thanks Fred and George. I was hoping for a miracle on the other year and chevrolet models. Maybe someone may have a dismantled 74 z28 with HEI and still have them.

6. 74Z28GC3

74Z28GC3 Veteran Member

Sep 1, 2000
    North Pole, Alaska
    Ron,

I located the part number I believe you are looking for in my 74 assembley manual (AM). The part number is GM 8911948 for the two retainers that clip on to the metal bracket. I did not see a part number in the AM for the metal bracket. I located a picture of the right front wire retainer of how it looks off another guys website where he had it listed for a 74 Z28. Both of these pictures show how it is setup. In the AM this part is listed as a retainer. Ron, I hope this the parts you are talking about.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

George

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  7. ronzz572

Feb 8, 2007
    imperial pa
    Thanks George for posting the pictures. If anyone finds a nice set of the brackets and the plastic wire holders holders, I would be very interested in them. Also I see a clip holding a wire. Is that the temp sensor wire or a tcs wire? I may need that clip also.

8. 74Z28GC3

74Z28GC3 Veteran Member

Sep 1, 2000
    North Pole, Alaska
    I believe that is the temp sensor.

George

9. ronzz572

Feb 8, 2007
    imperial pa
    George, After looking closer at the picture. I agree the bent smog tube goes on drivers side. I do need that clip also.

10. zfool

zfool Veteran Member

May 19, 2014
    Rochester, MN
    I bet its not easy to find the plastic clip for the temp sensor wires,,,need.:)