Heat in Garage

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by ErikNORCAL, Jul 31, 2013.

1. sponge003

sponge003 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Concord, NC
    I was going to put a woodstove in my house and talked to my insurance agent about it, they have to have it inspected for certain clearances around the stove so they will cover a house fire etc.

I mentioned putting one in my shop and the agent said they would not cover any fire if I had a woodstove in my shop due to all the flammable stuff in a shop (Gas, paint etc.). I tried to argue the point that I don't really have that much flammable stuff, its in a metal cabinet and he said forget it, not covered period.

I went with a electric 220v unit from northern tool works great, my shop is heavily insulated(helps in the summer too).

2. 5spd540

5spd540 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Guyton, GA
    I was going to do the same but bought a small 220v heater for my 20x30 shop I think it's a 4000 watt but I hardly ever use it

3. JONESYFXR

JONESYFXR Veteran Member

Oct 10, 2009
    BUFFALO, NY
    I got my 60,000 radiant for trade.....if I removed it, it was mine. So it was a cheap, low cost alternative!

4. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    Here, wood costs more than natural gas, so it isn't much of a choice. Wood means lots of work. Natural gas takes care of itself.

5. Mike N

Mike N Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 13, 2002
    Spencerport, NY.
    I use a kerosene salamander.

6. Philly

Philly Veteran Member

Mar 11, 2009

I DO! -24C HERE DURING THE DAY TODAY.

7. 4rcFed

4rcFed Member

Aug 26, 2006
    Pittsburgh PA
    I need to measure my detached garage, but I would estimate it around 24'x40'.

There is no insulation right now. I could do something on the bottom side of the trusses, but the it is a block garage. Any good ideas on how to insulate them on the inside?

I've been wanting to figure out a cost effective way to heat it when I need it, but still searching for ideas. I use a torpedo heater for now, but I always need to make a clear path for it. Would rather have something that I can suspend overhead if possible.

8. harbone66

harbone66 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Central Illinois
  9. reaboy

reaboy New Member

Feb 7, 2008
    IA
    My cousin pulled a good one for heat for his "dirty shop" (rottiserie, weld, fab, and clean paint booth on back). He has a small shed outside - probably 4'x8' or so. It houses a custom made boiler manufactured from a large propane tank. He burns scrap pallets that he pays $90 a dump load for. Anti-freeze lines go underground to his dirty shop where he runs it through a truck radiator with a Wal-Mart box fan behind it blowing the heavenly heat. Ain't pretty but gets it done for $90 a season in Iowa where it has been below zero for most of the last month.