Heat in Garage

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by ErikNORCAL, Jul 31, 2013.

1. protour73

protour73 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 21, 2006
    West of Chicago
    Johnny, that is a good choice, I got this one and installed it last month. http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/comfort-zone-industrial-ceiling-mount-utility-heater/0000000095594
    It is exactly like the one you posted only sold under a different name. Switchable from 3000, 4000, or 5000 watts. I have purposely left it on 3000 watts, the lowest setting and it has worked fantastic!!

My electric bill is only 500 kWh higher than last year with the heater running, and that is on top of the fact that our average daily temp has been at least 10° colder than last year.

My garage is an over sized 2 1/2 stall garage, with insulated main door, walls and ceiling.

DUIT!!

2. 5spd540

5spd540 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Guyton, GA
    Who needs heat its 65 Degrees now:happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:

3. protour73

protour73 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 21, 2006
    West of Chicago
    I hate guys like you.....:screwup: ....it's -2° here right now, but with that new heater is 61° in the garage!!! LOL

4. 5spd540

5spd540 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Guyton, GA
    Well it's going to be 41 tonight if that helps

5. ErikNORCAL

ErikNORCAL Veteran Member

Aug 6, 2003
    now in VA
    need to get back to this project.. looks like its going to be a longer, colder winter. That new heater looks good and for a bit less $$, could have a pro come install it.

Been looking at insulation, again this project needs to be on the cheap just because I know I will sell the house. Considering just putting up that tyvek plastic to seal off the air leaks and create an air gap as the insulation. Might put up some green board on the walls, mainly as protection in the tight areas were I would open doors or pass through. Would the air gap idea be worthwhile?

6. JONESYFXR

JONESYFXR Veteran Member

Oct 10, 2009
    BUFFALO, NY
    Here's my 60,000 radiant unit......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is before insulation. I only installed R13 and what a difference!

7. Wadd2

Wadd2 Veteran Member

Aug 27, 2013
    Shelton, Nebraska
    I have one of these

my shop is 1500 square feet and insulated. I have a heater similar to this one in this craigslist ad. https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/for/4249905988.html I absolutely love it. Below zero wind chills here right now and after 20 minutes, I'm in shorts and t shirt in my shop. Was just out there a little bit ago. It has a thermostat on it and it will shut off after 20 minutes or so at 65-70 degrees. I can easily make it much warmer. Also, very portable when you have to leave. It is a little noisy but certainly doesn't bother me! I put a big fan in front of it to move more air and it heats the whole shop easily. You can buy new ones but they don't make them quite like the old Queen B's anymore! Mine was my grandfathers and so it's probably 60 years old and I just keep up the maintenance on it and it works like a charm.

8. mickstan

mickstan Veteran Member

Jun 11, 2012
    E'ville, IL
    Last nite it got down to 8 degrees here and my "Hot One" heater on high setting kept the garage at a comfortable 75 degrees all evening.

9. ErikNORCAL

ErikNORCAL Veteran Member

Aug 6, 2003
    now in VA
    that 60K btu (good lord that is a serious bit of heat) unit is really nice and I would want one of those but I'll move south or pay someone to finish the camaro before I sink the money and realize would be living up in the frozen tundra for that long..

The original idea of the thread was for some low cost and effective heat/insulation for the less than average skills guy to do some work on the beloved camaro... all the while consuming the popular local beverage (PBR 30 pack, $11.99!). These little 240v jobbers also have the bonus of being hung from the overhead, space is critical for those of us working out of a small 2 car garage.

Just realized 12 yrs and the car has moved extensively around the country on a trailer. goal is to drive it next move in 2015. Might need to look at someone that can finish it, would've been money well spent considering the amount spent over the past numerous shipments

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  10. sickfast1964

sickfast1964 Veteran Member

Aug 26, 2012
    Corinth, Tx
    I have decided to put a wood burning stove in my shop, they work great and its free to use as long as you have wood.