Heat in Garage

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by ErikNORCAL, Jul 31, 2013.

1. ErikNORCAL

ErikNORCAL Veteran Member

Aug 6, 2003
    now in VA
    Hi folks,

Recent relocation to the midwest, the winter has been a new experience. I'd like to add heat in the garage to be able to be out there in the winter and do some work. Looking for help in what I should consider so I can get going on research. Have a 2 car garage (looks about 23'x23' but need to measure soon). Wood, looks like cedar siding (1938ish original), good condition. Electrical present.

Factors:
    Job transfer every 3 years or so and already one year into it. I'd like to keep the cost low and possibly be able to remove everything at the end and recoup some money, don't think a heated garage will add much value to the home sale price.

Saw some heaters at Home Depot and Lowes (Lennox and Mr Heater), look like they can be hooked to a propane bottle.

2 car wood garage about 23' x 23' or so, insulated garage door, side door and two windows.

Not looking to heat all the time, just when I'm in there and at least to 50 degrees which seems to be my tolerance...

Neighorhood is code freaks..

your thoughts greatly appreciated.

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    When it comes to heating or air conditioning, the rules are simple.
    1. insulate
    2. heat or A/C

You are probably not flush enough with money to heat the outdoors, so insulate first if the garage is not well insulated.

3. frankz

frankz Veteran Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Illinois
    I think you would be better served by a 220 electric unit. No flame and it is portable.

4. 5spd540

5spd540 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Guyton, GA
    Yes a 220v heater will do what you want

5. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2010
    erie, PA
    that's what I have - kind of like a hanging electric reznor

6. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Sep 14, 2000
    MN
    You'd be surprised how much just insulating the garage will do to keep things from getting too cold. It really doesn't get too cold in the Milwaukee area in the winter, so you don't need much of a heater if you've insulated properly.

I'd go with a 220V electric heater as already mentioned - due to cost, safety and ease of taking it with you.

7. BamaRocker

BamaRocker Veteran Member

Nov 29, 2005
    Meridianville, Alabama
    You could always go with Ductless heat and air unit.

More money than you like to spend, but you would get it back in two years when you sell the house.

Your garage is only 529 Square feet, so you could get a lower end model.

I think they start around 800 to 1200...

8. fvdillon

fvdillon Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Crete,IL
    My gas outlet for the dryer is on the other side of the back wall of the garage. Just ran a line through the wall for a blue flame heater, works fantastic and cheap. Jim

9. ErikNORCAL

ErikNORCAL Veteran Member

Aug 6, 2003
    now in VA
    I forgot to mention the garage is detached else I'd be all over trying to get to the gas line but I'm guessing there is about 30' to the house and I'd have to trench it to run a line.... plus more money.

As far as the insulation, would it be as simple as putting up insulation on the walls then maybe pegboard over it? Just mentioning the peg board as I need to get a storage solution going to hang stuff up and maximize the floor space. I looked in the neighbors garage and it looks like some sort of 1" thick foam backed with aluminum sheeting.

For the roof would you do the same? It is exposed rafters, I need to find out the correct terminology for the roof type but it basically comes to a point in the middle from the four corners.

Sorry for the basic questions, haven't done something like this so trying to do it myself for cost purposes and getting pointed in the right direction to research.

looking for the heater now. Ok I think I just found a site and thread that basically covers similar items too.. wow, love the help on this site (and google).
    http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2617232

Any thoughts between these two?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Fahrenhe...Electric-Heater-NPH4AB/100120005#BVRRWidgetID

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Fahrenheat-5-000-Watt-Unit-Heater-FUH54/202043073#.UgAvihYdg20

eh looks like the 5000W is probably the right one.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  10. mickstan

mickstan Veteran Member

Jun 11, 2012
    E'ville, IL
    I have a 26x28 detatched garage, insulated and drywalled last fall after 7 years without. Spent about 1000 bucks to do it. Then bought a 220v Cadet "The HOT One" used off Craigslist. What a massive improvement. The garage was already tyveked, but the insulation and drywall, wow what a difference. I leave mine on low when away then High when I'm working in it. Keeps it about 60-70 degrees even on 5 degree nights. Its easier to keep it warm if you leave it on low all the time as it takes too long to heat it up from 30 degrees. And it only raised the power bill about 25 bucks a month. I was spending close to 100 a month on kerosene in a torpedo heater. I did not mud and tape the drywall and I had trusses to hang it from on the ceiling.