Headliner bow rods SS

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by dave@ztech, Apr 5, 2019.

1. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

So I got tired of sanding the 5 rods that hold up the headliner, and looked for replacements , they want 50+ for the steel ones , I found stainless steel ones for much less , and figured I would give them a try, they were well packaged, taped to a piece of wood, then wrapped in a cardboard sleeve , they are real SS as a magnet will not stick, they have the same flex as my old steel rods, and they are approximately the same thickness, however, my originals had a coating of rust , length wise they are also very close, see pictures , found on ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/264000825786
    headliner rod 1.JPG headliner rod 2.JPG headliner rod 4.JPG headliner rod 6.JPG headliner rod 9.JPG headliner rod 10.JPG headliner rod 12.JPG

2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

There is an amazing product called Evapo-Rust. 24 hours of sitting in that and the rods would be perfectly clean.

3. dave@ztech

Thanks BA for pointing that out,if you had a pan long enough to lay them in, however, I believe you have said in the past, I wish I did this right once the first time and didn't have to fix or do it over , these rods are SS so you will never have the concern that above your head the steel rods are rusting, right??

4. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

lol....I bought new rods too. I would be interested to see how they fit. The plastic retaining clips might not fit the new rods if the diameter is too large.

5. dave@ztech

I will find out this weekend, as I can easy fit them now, need to have them in the fabric and see how well they fit, will post results

6. Jon balch

Jon balch Veteran Member Gold Member

You are going to want to mark the rods where they clip in with tape. Than slid them through the headliner to find out where the fabric needs to be trimmed for the clips. Otherwise with the fabric on the rod it wont clip into the bracket. pretty easy to do. Find the center of the headliner and bows and go from there. Also don't mix up the bows.

7. dave@ztech

The bows are all the same length, so that will not be a problem mixing them up, and from what I have seen, read, you need to slip the clips on the fabric with the rod inside, then install them into the spots in the roof, as they will not clip on by trying to push them onto it with the clips already installed in the roof, if that makes any sense, HAA HA