Headlight trouble.. help!

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by WBowie, Nov 24, 2002.

1. WBowie

WBowie Veteran Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Grovetown, GA
    I bought new headlights today because when I hit the high beams only the passenger side goes high the drivers side goes out. After installing new lights I still have the same problem. On normal both lights work. It only happens when I switch to high beams.

Where should I start trouble shooting? This is on a 79 Camaro.

Thanks!

2. Mz28att

Mz28att Veteran Member

I would just reach around the back of the light and wiggle the plug. If you can get the out like to work, then you just have a loose wire.

3. WBowie

WBowie Veteran Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Grovetown, GA
    I've tried that already. Mabe the wires for low and high beam are switched on the light. Would that cause this?

4. angel71rs

angel71rs Veteran Member

Jul 28, 2002
    El Paso, TX
    There are seperate wires for the low and high beams. Check for continuity. Also, there is a small tab on each spade connector that slides into the plastic connector housing. You can use a small screwdriver to push that tab down and slide the spade connector out. Then you can polish it with 600 sandpaper. You'll be surprised at how corroded they get, almost black in some cases. Then kick the tab back up a little (careful, it's delicate) and slide connector back in place. Do it one at a time so you make sure and put them in their proper locations.