headers that fit

Discussion in '1977 Z28' started by VT Old Guy, Jun 22, 2015.

1. VT Old Guy

VT Old Guy New Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Burlington, VT
    I am trying to find a set of mid or shorty headers for my 77 Z28. Since it has been lowered with a Hotchkiss suspension I have clearance issues with the current long tube set.

I plan on installing a new flowmaster exhaust but every set I look at says it will only work with an automatic mines's a 5 speed Tremec

If you have any suggestions I would really appreciate!

2. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

My American racing headers fit great. But they are long tubes. I run a larger T56 and hotchkis tvs

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  3. JWZ28

JWZ28 Veteran Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Alabama
    Where are your clearance issues specifically? I'm running long tubes on my 78 with a BW ST-10 4 speed with no issues. I've lowered mine 2 inches all the way around.

4. VT Old Guy

VT Old Guy New Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Burlington, VT
    Been told by Hedman the cross shaft will be the issue...I was also told by FLowmaster

5. BonzoHansen

cross shaft? you mean the z-bar for the clutch?

6. VT Old Guy

VT Old Guy New Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Burlington, VT
    yes....most suggested I need a Hyd Clutch to be 100% certain there wil be no clearance issues.

7. APEowner

APEowner Veteran Member

Dec 9, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
  8. BonzoHansen

i assumed SBC in a 77 Z28. A lot of headers ought to clear the z bar. The crappy hooker super comps i had did, i think the hedmans clear find, you can search the forum for headman and get details. Changing the trans does not change the z-bar mounting at all.

My ARH clear the z-bar plenty.

9. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

What are you specifically do with with the car.big tube small tube.I run a set of Flow Tech header on my 1981 El Camino SS with small block chevy .I have a 1979 Z-28 RS Camaro. With Doug Thorley big tube headers .Both are Pro-Touring cars with 3 inches of ground clearance.The frames are similar So maybe Flow Tech may have a set for your car.Wouldn`t hurt to check.

10. VT Old Guy

VT Old Guy New Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Burlington, VT