Header Suggestions for a 73 Z28

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by JRowe, Oct 17, 2017.

1. JRowe

JRowe Veteran Member

Sep 3, 2000
    Tavares, Florida
    I am taking the original engine out of my z and putting a 406 sbc in its place. Any ideas on what headers would be good?

Thanks

2. NeoNeuro

NeoNeuro Veteran Member

Aug 4, 2014
    Panama City, FL
    I got Hedman Elites. Extra thick and ceramic coated. They're beautiful. I wanted short or mid-length, but had to go with long. That was the only option since I have a 4-speed. Automatics have more choices because they don't have the Z bar in the way. I could have converted to a hydraulic clutch I guess, but that was a pretty pricey solution just to run shorter headers. There are a lot of good brands out there, but the Hedmans are tough to beat. Costs more, but worth it IMHO.

3. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

Mar 25, 2010
    marietta ohio
    Hedman Elite's here too. Worth the extra cash, good fit nice coating.

4. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I have American racing headers. Stainless, American made, 3/8 thick flanges, clutch linkage fits.

[​IMG]

5. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 25, 1999
    San Jose, CA, USA
  6. ThomasD.

ThomasD. Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Those are beautiful. Pricey though. Did you get the 1-3/4” or 1-7/8” ?
    My ‘70 LT1 should be putting out around 450 HP with all the work I’m having done to it. Wanted shorty headers ( Sanderson C3’s) for ground clearance But don’t want to bottleneck the HP. Do the AR’s drop below the frame rails?

7. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

I use Doug Thorley headers .and Hooker .Flow Tech are other brands.

8. BonzoHansen

1 3/4. I think the fit is good. the quality is certainly high. my car is low and they have never scraped. of the hang below the frame it isn't much. sorry, engine is out of the car right now.

3/8" thick flanges are nice. requires a mini starter

Attached Files:

9. ThomasD.

ThomasD. Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    A mini starter, really? Just paid $250 to get my original rewound and rebuilt. The AR website doesn’t tell you about that requirement.

10. BonzoHansen

Huh look at that. it used to say that I thought.

Wow that's a lot of money for a starter for a car you're modifying. I think my brand new gm mini starter was like $70