Have any of you local guys used Benchworks for steering gear work?

Discussion in 'Arizona Region' started by Knuckle Dragger, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ
    The off the shelf reman boxes are junk. I'm looking to have the steering gear in my truck rebuilt by guys that will look for and can actually determine whats wrong inside and not just replace seals, paint and ship. I called over and talked with someone but it almost sounded as if they rushed their stuff in and out compared to places like Lee power steering. Anyone here ever use Benchworks?

2. dale68z

dale68z Veteran Member

May 14, 2009
    Glendale Arizona
    I have a benchworks in my el camino. And I have a Lee in my 71 and the race car. All work well. Lee got sold, and is now run by a man and wife with no experience in the PS business. I understand Tom is still a go to guy for them when needed. The 71 was built when Tom owned Lee, the race car box was built after it was sold.
    I'd do a Benchworks again.

3. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ
    Thanks Dale, I was hoping you would chime in. I was thinking about calling you at the shop but didn't want to interrupt your day. I had a Lee box in my 79 and loved it but I sure didn't get the same impression when I called them yesterday. Nice enough people but they sure don't show the same knowledge as Tom did. I think maybe I just got a sales guy that answers phones over at Benchworks. If I can't tune this thing is I'm going to take it to them.

4. greeny

greeny Veteran Member

Feb 21, 2005
    arizona
    I have used benchworks several times and have been very happy with their work.

5. djorgensen3

djorgensen3 Veteran Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Peoria, Az
    I put a Benchworks unit in my former bro-in-laws 68 c10. It worked well the entire time he had it.