Has anyone used a stock center console with a T56 6 speed trans?

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by AllensaurusRex, Nov 21, 2017.

1. AllensaurusRex

AllensaurusRex Veteran Member

May 22, 2013
    Murfreesboro TN
    Did you use a manual or auto console? Did it fit without adjustments? Pics?
    Thanks!
    -Allen

2. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

3. 2ndGenCrazy

2ndGenCrazy Veteran Member

Aug 18, 2011
    Upstate New York
    Yes, I am going to use a 70 - 72 with T56 mag. PM me with your email and I can send you images.

4. orkin

orkin Veteran Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Georgia
    73 with T56mag and manual console. It fits OK. The shifter knob gets close to the dash in first, and 3rd is where 1st was with the old Saginaw.

Attached Files:

5. BonzoHansen

I actually like the shifter position further back.

Btw if you go to google and type site:nastyz28.com t56 you'll get all sorts of hits.

IMG_1796Small.jpg

6. udloze

udloze Veteran Member

Mar 30, 2011
    new york
    What shifter boot did you use ? That looks really nice.

7. BonzoHansen

A 4th gen boot because I had one

8. speterson49

speterson49 New Member

Aug 3, 2014
    New Orleans, La
    I put in a T56 into my 1980 Z28. I kept the stock manual console by fabricating new adjustable motor mounts allowing me to shift the engine forward about an inch and a half. I was installing a new exhaust system so that wasn't an issue. The T56 has a hydraulic clutch so I removed all of the clutch hardware linkage. I found a new throttle cable from a 85 Elcamino that is exactly like mine except it is almost 2 inches longer. To cover the rest of the offset I opted for a McLeod offset shifter for the remaining distance. Hurst makes a stick that is laid back just enough to clear the dash when using the forward gears. It's a 1/4"closer to the dash and is unnoticeable from the factory 4 speed. I used the Spec conversion clutch -flywheel assembly to mate the T56 to my 2 piece rear main seal 350 block. Modified the factory cross member to fit the T56 and had a local drive line shop shorten the drive shaft.

It is by far the best modification I've done to this car. I usually only hit 6th gear on the interstate when cruising near 80mph.
    3.jpg