Has anyone ever, Stuffed Gen 4 parts into a Gen 2?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Impact-mk, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Impact-mk

Impact-mk Member

Hi there, i have a 1974 FireBird, and i also have a 1996 FireBird, My 74 is in really nice shape for the year and where i live, but it is a little lack luster, being a 74 and all. So i went out and i bought an LQ9, 4L80E, and a 14 bolt, with the plans of jamming it lovingly into my Bird. Now my 96 is starting to look more and more like a magnificent donor for much more technologically advanced parts. That said, i know that the 74 has a wheelbase of 108' and the 96 has a wheel base of only 101'.I know that the 74 has a removable front sub-frame while the gen 4 does not, And i can guarantee all of this would be done in my backyard, most likely almost exclusively in the snowy Canadian winter at below -30 Celsius, With all that aside, has anyone ever retrofit a section of frame (front), or just generally suspension out of a fourth gen into a second gen?
    or know of anybody who has?

I know that these are Firebird's and not a Camaro's, but hey gen 2 F-body is a gen 2 F-body, and this site is much more helpful and knowledgeable then the other forums,
    I am willing to cut the hell out of both cars, fabricate, and generally spend as little money as i can,

2. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

A 14 bolt? Like a truck rear? Huh never saw anyone put that in a 2nd gen. Not sure why, the 8.5" rear in your car is a strong rear. Its not like the junk rear in that fourth gen.

No, i bet no one has even tried to put a 4th gen front suspension in a 2nd gen. Not even sure where you would start. More importantly not sure what you would gain. A lot of fabrication for little gain. Lots of parts out there to make a 2nd gen handle well without trying to hard or spending tons of cash. And that 96 is 21 years old, so most of that suspension is toast. We just rebuilt the suspension on a well cared for 01 SS and it was obvious how worn the oe parts were. Bushings, etc. your 96 doesnt even have the better brakes like the 98+ cars did.

What are you goals for the car, how do you intend to use it?

3. 72BIGBLOCK

72BIGBLOCK Veteran Member

There's a guy here who did that with 75 firebird I'll see if I can find pics

Impact-mk likes this.
  4. Impact-mk

Impact-mk Member

My main goal is a strong track/autocross car, i figured the 9.5 14 bolt would be better then the 8.5, as i have blown the one in my Z before and am sure that while a 12 bolt would do excellent, they aren't easy to find in my area, or cheap, also i have a family friend who owns a machine shop i can get a decent price to narrow it, realistically i would like to convert the rear from the leafs to something that will corner better, the guy i got the 96 from had the front end done last august and as a whole only has 78 thousand km (48,500 miles), i also have a turbo setup for it in my garage, plan on an 8 point, and would like to push about 500 wheel hp when all is said and done, with the option to upgrade to more in the near future,

5. Impact-mk

Impact-mk Member

that would be aces thank you!

6. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Frankly - front suspension in the 4th gen, isn't very good.
    The geometry is meh, the brakes are awful

7. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

The Ford 9 inch is probably a better way to go. You could find one already set up for the type you want to run. My 2 cents

8. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

I agree, the aftermarket parts for the sec gens are really good and much of it is direct bolt on. I don't think the bang for the buck is worth the 96 to 70s swap. Additionally, stay away from a 9.5" 14" diff. That will suck power to turn it regardless of how strong it is. Stick with the 8.5, 8.8 or 9" ring gear.

9. camaro71/holland

camaro71/holland Veteran Member

Interesting...always thought 4th gen brakes were the shot when doing a budget minded swap...

Besides that, I'm totally happy with the brakes in my daily 2002 maro...

10. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mid-Generaton the front brakes on the 4th gen changed. The early LT1 cars had really cruddy brakes. When the cars went to the LS1, GM also upgraded to larger brakes with better calipers