Has anyone built thier own work bench...POST PICS

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by BamaRocker, Jul 29, 2013.

1. BlueSmoke

BlueSmoke Member

Apr 29, 2013
    Grundy va
    I have been trying to find someone remodeling for so long now lol. Yours is exactly what I had in mind. I guess I'll hurry up and wait. Very nice.

2. Johnny Blaze

Johnny Blaze Veteran Member

Jan 24, 2013
    New Washington, IN
    I used some old solid wood doors for my bench tops.

3. Happy_Dan

Happy_Dan Veteran Member

Sep 13, 2013
    Litchfield, NH
    Those are some nice benches. I don't have a picture handy but I used the wood from a deck that was redone at my house.

It's only 4x8 but it has 4X4 posts for legs (8 of them), 2X6 joists with 3/4 plywood for a top.

I seem to be running out of space in the garage already. I had to start to rearrange things for my blast cabinet and I am feeling a little squeezed.

4. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Left end is framed pretty much like the one in the first post except with 2 x 4. Top is particle board then about 3 coats of hi gloss polyurethane. Right end where vice is mounted is butcher block top I picked up for free. Highly recommend you have one section of butcher block top, you can beat all day long on that it ain't going anywhere. The framing part is the most important, the base to build the tops on has to be rock solid.

[​IMG]

Then I have this roll around one, made out of discounted Mills Pride kitchen base cabinets and heavy duty casters, it doubles as an outfeed table for my table saw. 3/4 inch melamine top on it.

[​IMG]

5. 79supergasdriver

79supergasdriver Veteran Member

Jun 22, 2005
    Wichita, KS, USA
    My garage is tiny-20'x10'-so my workbench is only 16" deep. I have to back the '79 in so I can squeeze between it and the bench. I'll get a pic or two soon. Basic 2x4 framing screwed into the wall studs, 4x4 front legs, 3/4" plywood sheathing top. Hung cheap cabinets above and ran a new dedicated circuit for outlets and under-cabinet light.