Has anyone built thier own work bench...POST PICS

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by BamaRocker, Jul 29, 2013.

1. BamaRocker

BamaRocker Veteran Member

Nov 29, 2005
    Meridianville, Alabama
    Has anyone built thier own work bench...???

If so, start posting pictures...

Make sure you put some dimensions so we get idea of size. hard to tell from a photo..

Thanks in advance...:bowtie:

2. night rider

night rider Veteran Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Bremen, Ga
    I made mine just from scrap I had around.
    One is 28" wide, 8 foot long, 37" tall. Corner posts (legs) on it is 4x4's, top is 3/4" ply wood, 2x6 across front and back under the top.
    2x4 17" off floor front and back, with a pc of 7/16" osb as a storage shelf.

Another one is 28" wide, 37" tall and 8 foot long, 2 4x4 front legs, 1/2" plywood top, back has a 2x4 screwed to wall studs and the top nailed to the 2x4.

My computer desk and elec. work area is an old floor model TV cabinet gutted with a 6 foot long x 24" wide kitchen counter top on top of it..

I'll see if I can get some pictures in next day or so

3. 57Plymouth

57Plymouth Veteran Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Blythewood, SC
    Yes. I built it at the height that I was comfortable working at. It is 30" deep because I like more room to work. It is 20 feet long. It is made of 4x4 corners and 2x6 cross pieces. It has joist hangers and 2x6 across the width every 2 feet. Every joint is set into a rabbit joint. Every joint has construction adhesive and screws holding it together. The lower shelf is offset in to stay out of my shin's way. The top is 3/4 ply with masonite on top. The ply is glued to the frame and screwed in place every 6 inches. The masonite top is considered expendable so it can be replaced when it gets too ragged. The two vices sit directly over a 4x4 leg. The entire bench is attached to the wall, and it cannot be wiggled or jostled. I put the outlets in the front edge so they are easy to access. There is a backsplash made out of scrap lumber so stuff doesn't roll off the back edge. I've also added lights over the bench in front of the windows and under the two cabinets. I have to lights on flexible necks to light specific areas as needed.

I can sit assemble a small block to a 7000r4 on this bench without the bench deflecting at all. It's stout.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  4. BamaRocker

BamaRocker Veteran Member

Nov 29, 2005
    Meridianville, Alabama
    Thats what i am talkin about.....Great photos.

Good info guys thanks...

5. BusDriver

BusDriver Veteran Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    wow, you could probably drive a car over that (space permitting) and it would hold up...

nice.

6. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Southern Maryland
    57, your work bench construction is awesome!

7. woody80z28

woody80z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 8, 2004
    walton, ny usa
    I had a bunch of build pictures in my thread but they're not showing up. Started off as a storage box by the PO and I converted it to a work bench. Butcher block top is 2'x8'x1.5" and there's a 2x6 frame behind it for the shelf. Underneath has shelving that I enclosed to keep the dust out. And the table on wheels is a score from work. haha

[​IMG]

8. 57Plymouth

57Plymouth Veteran Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Blythewood, SC

Thanks!

I built it so that every leg is notched for the top framing. That way the load is carried through a continuous expanse of wood from the top to the floor. Even if the screws were to fail, the wood is still resting on a notch so it won't fall. I would have made the front and rear rails out of 10' boards, but using 8' boards and having joints allowed me to use the scrap to make the cross bracing to support the top. I have about $200 in the entire bench including joist hangers, construction adhesive, fasteners and lumber. I can't remember if that price includes the masonite or not.

I considered putting a second layer of plywood on the top. My structural test was to put a 454 and a mopar 318 side by side on the top and measure for deflection. It didn't move, so I put the masonite on to make it smooth and pretty. (never hurts to have a few spare engines in the corner)

This all started because I was tired of cutting something in the vice and my bench would wobble. I fixed the wobble problem now.

9. Mr.SS

Mr.SS Veteran Member Gold Member

Aug 10, 2006
    NS.
    I didn't technically build it. It is a kitchen island I got when my neighbours redid their kitchen and an old workbench I got from a friend who works for the school board. I just changed the hardware, painted them black, topped them with 3/4" plywood and had a steel top bent up to cover them. It is 12 feet long.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]