Harrison radiator id

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by 73triplez, Feb 2, 2018.

1. 73triplez

73triplez New Member

Feb 2, 2018
    Hi all new to nastyz28 site. Own a 73 triple option rs type lt 4 speed z28. Was looking into harrison radiators, and trying to figure out what my code is . Is says AB on passenger side tank and is a Harrison. Dated B3 for feburary 73? And the car is dated 04a first week of april. It needs a recore or fixed but wanted to be sure this is an original. No A/C and no tag also. Thanks

2. Smokin'Joe

Smokin'Joe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Texas
    Hello 73triplez,

I've learned a lot about the old Harrison radiators while searching for an original XY coded tank for my car. - I am confident the AB coded fill side tank would be correct for your car. The Z28's used the larger radiator core opening and it took the AB coded radiators to fill the width ( which is why the fill neck is on a 45 degree slant to miss the hood ). You are correct on the date, the B is February and the 3 is 1973, so that lines up perfectly with your trim tag date of April. - The smaller drivers side tank should/may have IA on it or it's possible it could just be blank with no codes.

One word of note, is that the new modern day replacement cores have a different top/bottom rail design. - If you are going for originality, find a shop that will use your existing top and bottom rails on the new core. - Some shops will say they can't do it, but they can, they just don't want to.

Good Luck !

--

3. secondgenaddict

secondgenaddict Veteran Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Upstate South Carolina
    Listen to Smokin Joe... FWIW the upper and lower rails have a rectangular and a square punch hole at either end. no more than an inch from the tanks.

4. 74BIBELOT

74BIBELOT Veteran Member

1EC63A73-6673-4867-9B21-6C8BC5B78E75.png 481DBA08-35C9-4A33-AC2F-C1110259221B.png MY 74 Camaro original radiator, AC car.

5. Burd

Burd Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Look in a parts book, there's a Rad section with all the codes. Look up your correct one first, then find it in the chart. There should be 2 little steel tags there if their still on.

6. secondgenaddict

secondgenaddict Veteran Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Upstate South Carolina
    73 RS LT Z28 4spd no air - 01A built - AB drivers tank L2 December 1972
    102_8946.JPG

3 Row core RAIL detail.
    102_8947.JPG

7. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Veteran Member

May 21, 2014
    Hutto, TX
    Smokin' Joe, do you have any recommendations for shops in Texas that can restore an original 73 Z28 radiator?
    Anyone else had one restored and were happy with the results?
    Thanks.

8. Smokin'Joe

Smokin'Joe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Texas
    Hello Billy,

I have not had need for a rebuilding as I'm still searching for the correct tanks for my car, however, I have heard of a few people using Kirby's Radiators in Ft. Worth. I do not know if they have the willingness to swap the rails to the new core.

There is a guy in Michigan who I spoke with a few years ago who specializes in the older Harrison Radiators. - I am not sure if he is still doing them, and I have not used his services, but he is who I was planning on using when I find my XY coded tank. He sounded very knowledgeable and capable of doing a high quality restoration to factory appearance if you are willing to ship your existing radiator to him and let him supply the new core. - I will PM you his website, and if you use him, let me know how it turns out. - Edit, evidently your PM is turned off. Hit me up with one and I'll send you the link.

Other than that, you may go visit your local shop and see if you feel comfortable. - There is a shop in Plano, Tx that will recore your old tanks, but will not separate the core to put on the old rails.

--

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    BillyDean7173 likes this.
  9. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Veteran Member

May 21, 2014
    Hutto, TX
    Thank you very much for the info, Smokin'Joe. I appreciate you taking the time.
    Thanks also for letting me know about the PM issue. Somehow it was set to only receive PMs if I initiated the conversation. I was wondering why another member was having a problem sending a PM to me. Sending you a PM now. :bowtie: