Harmonic balancer sizes?

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by jayfire, Jul 26, 2010.

1. jayfire

jayfire Veteran Member

Jun 26, 2008
    dayton, nevada
    What are the pros and cons with the different sizes of balancers? I have one 350 with an 8" balancer and one with a 6.25" chrome balancer. Would my little chrome timing pointer work on the little guy? Is the little guy ok to run as a daily driver or should I switch to the 8"? Thanks

2. frankz

frankz Veteran Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Illinois
    The larger mass of the 8" balancer is better at canceling crank harmonics which increase w/stroke size---prolonging crank life.The smaller balancer is better for acceleration w/less weight and smaller OD.

3. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    Look back at what Chevy always put on their high performance small blocks; the 8" one. That should tell you something.

If you're in a drag race only engine, then a smaller one will work because the engine is in a constant acceleration/deceleration mode and will not see harmonic resonance like a street engine will from a constant rpm.

Rule of thumb for a street - street/strip engine; the largest one you can get...

4. procharged_z28

procharged_z28 Veteran Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Houston,Texas
    So a 6.25 wouldnt be good for the street?

5. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    I didn't say that... Most sbc have the smaller one, Chevy put the 8" units on their factory high performance engines. You can figure it out from there. IMHO

6. procharged_z28

procharged_z28 Veteran Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Houston,Texas
    ^^^Yeah true i was just asking for an opinion i can get a new 6.25 tci rattler balancer for 100 wanted to know if it would be any good?

7. CamaroMan79

CamaroMan79 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Selah, WA
    I have always ran 6.25" balancers on my performance sbc's without any issues. The mild 350 I have in my truck has 85k on it and still running strong.

Now thats not to say that an 8" balancer isn't a good choice as well. 'Im just saying that I have never had problems with the smaller diameter ones.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  8. 1981zapper

1981zapper Veteran Member

I bought a rebuild '67 327 and it had the Original Harmonic Balancer on it (6.1"), it's in alright shape but i'm going to replace it, Which size of balancer should i put on it? the engine has not been balanced

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  9. I run a 6+3/4" and thats what came on some 69 SS Camaros.