Harmonic Balancer...Is this almost on enough? Help plz

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Steve's 77, May 1, 2010.

1. Steve's 77

Steve's 77 Veteran Member

May 9, 2006
    Milton, Vermont
    I need a little help determining if this harmonic balancer is on or nearly on or what? I don't have an installation tool. I did heat the balancer up in the oven at 250 degrees for 15 min., but this is as far on as it gets. I did rap it a bit with a ball/pean hammer against a block of wood but I sure hate to pound too hard on it. I guess my question is, "Just how far does it go on?" I should have taken a better mental image of the old one. How far does it get placed into the seal on the cover? I'm almost at the point where I can thread the bolt in but not quite. Even if I did have the tool to use, I would still question just how far on does it go and just how much should I persuade it to go on. Any help would be appreciated. The photos should show my progress or lack of it I should say. [​IMG] [​IMG]Thanks

2. kenny77

kenny77 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Not even close yet. Go get a good install tool and save a lot of time and grief

My Story,

I have a harmonic balancer installer that I used and it pushed the balancer so far on with it and then it just stopped. I was still probally 1/4 inch away from everything lining up and knew it had to go farther still. The tool felt that if I turned it any harder something would break.

I took the installer tool off and put the ARP balancer bolt in with a much thinner washer to make sure I had enough threads on the bolt. As I slowly turned the bolt...I was nervous that I was going to strip the crank, was one of those things I knew I shouldn't have been doing.... But the bolt pulled the balancer on the rest of the way. Don't have any idea why the installer tool wouldn't push it on all the way, maybe I bought a cheap tool I think.

Took the bolt out, put the thick washer on and I was done.

Last edited: May 1, 2010
  3. cmonson

cmonson Veteran Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2006
    Calgary, Alberta
    get some all thread and some large washers. You can make your own tool for under $10.

Beating it with a hammer is a great way to wreck a balancer.

4. Javelin3o4

Javelin3o4 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Concord, CA
    I bought the proform install tool for 20 bucks, put a little anti-seize on the crank snout and it installed fast and easy.

5. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    70 LT1. Get the tool or you'll never get it on. Summitt Racing sells them. Don't waste your time in the oven or with a hammer. You'll F it up. And don't use your mounting bolt for an installer like some garages or you'll strip the crank threads.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2010
  6. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    I rented the proper tool from Orielly's. You defintly still have a ways to go. I know its a PIA to get them on.

7. Steve's 77

Steve's 77 Veteran Member

May 9, 2006
    Milton, Vermont
    You guys are awesome. Thanks for the comments. Very big morale booster. Most ideas I sort of knew, but needed reassurance. Thanks again

8. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    Get some oil on the crank so it slides easier and RTV on the keyway.

9. 74RAT

74RAT Veteran Member

Dec 28, 2003
    ft. stockton,tx,usa
    or crack a cast crank in some cases. personally saw the carnage after a local guy here got his on with a 10lb sledge in 3 hits against a 4 x 4 block at the damper. heard about how he got it on there after the fact. was a nice 454 chevy.

ran over the front of the crank in the first 20 minutes of driving. crank broke between the front rod and main journal,, and took out the front main web/main cap. ripped the block apart just above the main bolts. parts up front went flying arround the engine compartment. nasty damage it was.
    he bought the proper tools after that.
    andy

10. joeEZ

joeEZ Veteran Member

May 29, 2001
    Memphis, TN USA
    Not to mention what it does to your thrust bearing...