Hanging the Hull from the ceiling

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by 75Camaro4x4, Dec 13, 2013.

1. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    Northern Tool has a good selection of caster wheels in our area.

Edit: - just clicked on Scott's picture, FleetFarm item.

2. 75Camaro4x4

75Camaro4x4 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Wilson, NC
  3. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    I used 10" Northern Tools casters for the marching band equipment that I have been building over the years and the kids like them because the roll alot easier than the smaller wheels over all types of terrain.

4. Johnny Blaze

Johnny Blaze Veteran Member

Jan 24, 2013
    New Washington, IN
  5. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Veteran Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Denville NJ
    I have picked up and moved a bare shell with me and 2 average middle aged guys. Probably 450-500# at the most. The guy who used to own my 73 Firebird had an entire 67 Camaro minus motor trans and rear(including all sheet metal glass,front subframe,wheels ect) hanging up side down from the ceiling of his garage for years. If ypu are worried,try putting the car closer to one side of the garage and putting a 2x12 under each rafter. I wouldn't consider it to be unsafe like that. Like I said,the bare shell of a car weighs less then some fat people.

If you are looing to detail the underside of the car,the way to go is to fabricate something using 2 pieces of 2x3 box tubing about 8 feet long. bolt each piece to the undercarriage/rocker and then lift them up to hold the car on it's side. At least you wont have to work over your head with crud falling on you.

6. Dmystix

Dmystix Veteran Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Pa
    What do need wheels for?
    You were going to hang it from the rafters!!
    Wasn't rolling up there.
    Rich is right, no weight in a bare shell, wouldn't take much to hold it up, but I wouldn't want to work under it!!!
    I'd still rather have what was holding the car up to be connected to the ground, not something above.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  7. phat80

phat80 Veteran Member

Jan 4, 2013
    Victoria BC
    No Problem

Sister up the main tie. Use glue and screws, not nails.

I lifted an 1800 pound boat on a 2x4 frame. Common sense , fear and strong will to live are all that is required to ensure success.

8. 75Camaro4x4

Aug 5, 2013
    Wilson, NC
    I like the wooden frame idea, but I wouldnt beable to do that in the shed. And it cant stay outside because my shed is on a farmer's land, and he needs to beable to drive around.

I never did post the pictures I said I would, Ill have to do that tonight.

I've decided that the easiest way to do this would be to only hold it from the rafters when Im ready to put it on the 4x4 frame.

For all the prep underside work, I need to beable to flip it easily. And beable to roll it in and out of shed easily. I think the easiest way to do that would be to build a rotisserie with actual tires.

Im still open for any suggestions, Might be a bit more clear when I post those pictures.

9. 75Camaro4x4

Aug 5, 2013
    Wilson, NC
    I no longer have to hang the hull from the ceiling... my new place has 2 pine trees : D