Hanging the Hull from the ceiling

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by 75Camaro4x4, Dec 13, 2013.

1. 75Camaro4x4

75Camaro4x4 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Wilson, NC
    So, I have a small 10x20 barn that Ive been working on my Camaro in. A rotissery is not an option, since my floor is gravel. A cement floor is not an option either, as it is expensive and the barn will be abandoned when I am done. I also need a way of lifting the camaro when I drop a different frame underneath.

Each truss can hold 300 pounds of swinging weight. Dont ask me how I know, As an afterthought It probably wasnt the best idea.

The front and the back (Where most of the weight will be held) Ive ran dual 2x4's beside each stud, and dual 2x4s on each side of the truss. This results in the front being able to hold a massive amount of weight.
    I am planning on doing the same thing to the rear, and then running 2x4's accross all the truss's to help distribute the weight even more.

The Camaro is completely stripped of interior. The front subframe with motor and trans will be pulled. Glass, fenders, doors, trunk, etc all taken off. So basically it will be just the hull before I start lifting.

Im going to brace the body as much as seems necessary before I start to lift. I am planning on using a 4-way ratcheting system to do this as well. And if I do this right, I may even beable to get the Camaro sideways in there.

Any tips, advise, etc? This is a definate plan, Ill just adapt as necessary. I might have left out a few things from the last few weeks, Ill post as I remember.

2. stevenp3762

stevenp3762 BANNED

Feb 7, 2013
    bradenton fl.
    mabey a couple of gussetts also.....

3. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2010
    erie, PA
  4. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
  5. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

it is with larger pneumatic tires instead of metal casters. just saying

[​IMG]

6. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    ^ Bonzo's inflatable, rolly thingies look like a good idea. ;)

(I'm not worthy to speak the word "tire" in his presence.)

What could possibly go wrong?

If all hell breaks loose and you pull the rafters in on your car...
    You've just created a future "barn find"!

Leave the collapsed barn sit for a couple of years...
    Then, post a vid of its "disovery" on YouTube and auction it off on ebay! :D

Without seeing the structure, I couldn't tell you a safe way of suspending, or rotating it.
    Got pics of this potential Shed of Doom?

7. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    I certainly don't envision a couple of 2x4s laying across bottom chords as a good idea, even if the 2x4s are standing on edge, they still don't give you much capacity to distibute the weight across all of the bottom chords.

8. Leonards78LT

Leonards78LT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 21, 2001
    Central Oklahoma
    Really, and your going to trust your life with this?:screwup:

9. 75Camaro4x4

Aug 5, 2013
    Wilson, NC
    Bonzo - I have thought about that idea, just didnt know how well that would roll. Any idea where I could get that as pictured?

Steven - are gussets the staple sheets? Never heard the term before, and google gave too many results

351Maverick - Yes, and the best way I could come up with sliding it under is lifting the hull using my shed.

TwistedMetal - I will take more detailed pics to post later. I think I have a few on my progress thread, but They probably dont show it well enough

Leanards - Ill end up trusting my life into a vehicle that I welded up myself, I dont think things can get much worse haha. If I use a rotissery for all the flipping/weldding etc, than just using the shed for lifting should be safe. Besides, what other way would I beable to lift it?

JohnWright - The 3x6's that all the studs and trusses are made of, plus the concrete basing could hold the weight. Im just being extra cautious with the additional 2x4 bracing.

CorkE - Ive seen that before, and thats what gave me the idea that the shed can hold it. Thanks for the link, my friends wanted to see it for themselves lol.

10. 75Camaro4x4

Aug 5, 2013
    Wilson, NC
    After I figure out where to get those tires, Ill have to take another looks at Olstyle's thread to see what he did to make his rotissery out of engine stands.