Hanging gas petal

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by Lt1z, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Lt1z

Lt1z New Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Vallejo California
    IMG_4706.PNG IMG_4696.PNG IMG_3859.PNG This is my 1970 Z/28, I have owned this car for almost 30 years. It has been said that no 1970 Z/28 ever had a hanging gas petal. I have my build sheet which was located above the gas tank, it has the original Lt1 engine with the block number on the pad beginning with the letter "V", it has 410 gears with code "COO" stamped on the housing unit and the heads, 3927186. I'm just saying it was possible to have a hanging gas petal back in the day on these cars maybe very few, but they do exist regardless of the non believers.

2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    Yes, it's been said here before that it's possible.

Lt1z likes this.
  3. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    you've had it for 30 years ... that leaves 17 years for things to get messed with .

4. l16pilot

l16pilot Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Hurlock, MD, USA
    First of all, welcome to the forum and nice car...always had a soft spot for Mulsanne Blue.

Although there are some that may say "impossible" or "never", the common thought is it could be possible, but I have not yet seen a documented original 70 Z28 with a hanging pedal from the factory. If your car has the hanging pedal and you can document it as being "born-with" that way, I believe there are many members on this forum who would be very interested to see and even assist as it might just bring closure to a disputed topic once and for all.

In my opinion, this is what would qualify as documentation:
    -dated photos from the day the car was purchased showing the hanging pedal corroborated by the original owner.
    -photos of the driver's side toe-board, inside and out, showing no signs of sheet metal replacement or holes for mounting the gas pedal...inside of toe board should not show signs of restoration.

Again, in my opinion, this is what would not qualify as documentation:
    -photos of the toe board inside and out with any signs of restoration/sheet metal replacement.
    -memories/recollections from 1972 where a buddy's 70Z28 had a hanging gas pedal. in other words, any recollections from any year, while maybe true, do not qualify as documentation.

Hope this helps and looking forward to more info on your car.

Lt1z likes this.
  5. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    And believe me...A LOT can happen in 17 years. Mine was 8 years old when I got it and it had many "personalizations" already done. I know there are time capsules out there, but they are very rare for these type of vehicles.

Lt1z likes this.
  6. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    With the VIN matching build sheet saying Z28 and having 15" wheels.... It's a Z28.

The hanging gas pedal is just an oddity at that point.
    Without close inspection/photos of the toe board area... It will remain an oddity.

7. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    twisted brings up a good point ... it would not only be a mistake in trim but in body too ... was the floor pan different for the floor mounted ? i think it was , so quite a few inspectors missed that one ...

Lt1z likes this.
  8. Lt1z

Lt1z New Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Vallejo California
    Well thanks for all the replies, I didn't check for holes in the floor for a floor mounted gas petal but will and post again. At this point everything my z is required to have to be a real z it has. I really appreciate all the comments, thanks!

9. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2003
    Vineland N.J USA
    While I agree with all the comments, what would be reason for someone to change the gas pedal after leaving the factory, other than replacing a floor pan/toe kick.

10. restore-z28

restore-z28 Veteran Member

Jul 4, 2010
    Vancouver, BC
    Nice car, I would say anything is possible on these cars. Although normative practice would say it should be a floor mounted pedal, you can see how they might have made a mistake. Agree with the posts to double check the floor for the mounting tab, prior to you getting the car that 17 years could come into play.