Half Camaro Build

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Fink, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Fink

Fink New Member

Oct 14, 2017
    20171009_153914.jpg Hey how's it going. I reckon I'm building half of a second gen Camaro :screwup: I've got an 08 HHR Panel that I'm converting to rear wheel drive and swapping a GEN III in it. Not sure what displacement, whatever deal pops up when I've got the cash. Looking for a complete vehicle, I've seen 01-03 2wd tahoes going for $1500-2k witb 150ish on the odometer. I plan on leaving the front wide open, no fenders or good.

I figured the easiest way to get steering/suspension/v8 engine cradle was to find a subframe from a 2nd GEN camaro. Found one for $250, upper and lower control arms and spindles had a brand new shiny black powder coat on them, and it came with all new bushings and ball joints. Someone had unsuccessfully attempted to weld the seams. So I ground everything down and welded it all up solid. I've been putting the suspension together today. Took a nice ass whoopin putting all the bushings and ball joints in, but it's over. Does anyone know If I can shim the control arms to correct my Ackerman steering geometry because I lengthened the wheelbase from that of a 2nd GEN camaro? I don't know the exact wheelbase, but it will be in the ballpark of 130".

I cut into the factory subframe a 2" wide channel 6" deep so I could slide my 2x3 frame rail tubing in. Then I welded everything up solid. Now I've got frame rails running to the back.

I've found lots of good info on swapping an ls into a 2nd GEN on this site. Looking forward to getting this on the road.

[​IMG]

2. Fink

Fink New Member

Oct 14, 2017
  3. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    This looks to be interesting. Welcome, keep the photos coming.

Fink likes this.
  4. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Central NJ
    I love the fab work. If you catch too much flak from purists, feel free to PM me if I can be of help. I will never own a numbers matching car again, was the most miserable car ownership experience of my life. I buy stuff that's already been altered and never going back to stock. Then build it the way I want. I'm interested to see how the front end looks on your project. Those HHRs were so hideous stock that whatever you do will be an improvement. I like the sedan delivery vibe. Hoping to see round fenders and lights. Good luck with it.

5. Fink

Fink New Member

Oct 14, 2017
    I appreciate it. Out of all the hot rods ive driven, the only numbers that ever mattered to me were on the speedometer or time slip. I wanted a vehicle that could haul ass, was sealed from the elements and comfortable, and could haul my tools around. Im a welder by trade, and travel doing mostly ornamental steel work. So this is gonna be my work vehicle and my play vehicle. I've got another hhr panel, well half. Was cut off behind the front doors. Im gonna make that a trailer, and will be where my tools probably end up. Im 6'2 and slept in my old HHR many drunken nights. So as Scott said, it "looks awful", but its quite practical, and exactly what i need. I've got a 9" out of a 71 F100 im gonna run using leaf springs. As long as i make the frame beefy enough i should be able to haul a little bit of steel. I dont do big stuff, and rarely would i need to haul more than 2k lbs including my tools. I'm not even gonna run a hood or fenders. Im leaving it all open. Im gonna get a factory front fascia, and cut just the 4" tall bumper and upper and lower grill out. Then i'll rig up some brackets to hang the stock headlights out there. I just wanted a relatively simple project, which is why the subframe is so far forward. I dont wanna cut into the firewall. It would probably look better all tucked in, but i dont have the time nor the car. Should be just as fast either way, and the longer it is the less darty it is on the top end.

I did a little research about my ackerman steering geometry. From what I understand, it doesnt take much movement at all to adjust the angles. Im thinking I would need to make such a tiny adjustment that it isnt worth it. Once i get it driving I can find a parking lot and test if my tires are scrubbing or not. Thanks again for the help.

6. jimrr

jimrr Veteran Member

Jun 12, 2016
    sarasota
    Interesting and ambisious build! From looking at the front end pictures, it appears much longer than the original hhs bodywork.... what are the plans on front end sheet metal? Nice weld's....

7. Fink

Fink New Member

Oct 14, 2017
    Thanks! Im planning on leaving the front end wide open, as far as fenders and hood. Im just gonna use the hhr bumper and grill to cover my radiator.

8. jimrr

jimrr Veteran Member

Jun 12, 2016
    sarasota
    Or you could use 34 Ford running boards and 34 Ford fenders!!! With the ford waterfall grill! They come in fiberglass so fitting them up to the body and framework should not be too difficult.

9. Fink

Fink New Member

Oct 14, 2017
  10. Fink

Fink New Member

Oct 14, 2017
    Those 34's do have good lines!!