Guys who have built or had garages built

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by camarochevy1970, Dec 4, 2013.

1. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Evansville, In.

I had an Amish company build me a really nice garage in '05 for $9000. I had them put the insulation in the ceiling but I did the rest and wired it myself. That included the concrete floor. I'm pretty sure the Amish in Pa. have a company that can do it for you. One thing about them, they show up on time, get to work and get done.

2. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    I put up an American Steel Span 25 x 40 x 13'-6 to the peak....concrete footings and floor was the biggest expense of the entire project. Shop for concrete before getting prices on the building...LOL

3. camarochevy1970

camarochevy1970 Veteran Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    John, the building price I was quoted included the concrete

4. John Wright

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    I hadn't purchased concrete for several years...the sticker shock took a few minutes to sink in after I punched a few buttons on the calculator figuring the yardage that I needed. I had no idea it had gone up that much.

5. John Wright

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    For the lift, plan ahead and layout where the anchors need to be and dip out some extra dirt in those spots so that you will have enough thickness to accomadate the expansion anchors(min 6" thick, IIRC)

6. camarochevy1970

camarochevy1970 Veteran Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I am having the entire floor built to the specs of the lift requirements, so I can safely anchor wherever I want. Now I just need to decide if I want 2 post or 4 post. There are advantages to both, maybe 1 of each lol

7. ffshu

ffshu Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2011
    New Kent Virginia
    I built a 30'x36'x12' myself ( and the help of some of my buddies ) and I did everything including clearing the space and putting in a 120' driveway for around $21k in 2007. Materials would be a little more now, I'm sure. Concrete here in VA is about $95-100 a yard right now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. ffshu

ffshu Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2011
    New Kent Virginia
    My pics above show my twin post lift and I knew I was going to put it in that bay so the concrete is about 5-6" right there plus it has fiber in it. I'm not a fan of loft/attic space because things get lost and cluttered up there, so I built the shelving around the edge 2' down from the ceiling and 2' out. Plenty strong and would hold a complete motor if I could pick it up to get it up there.

I also prefer the twin post rather than 4 post just because it's less post in the floor. Just my opinion. Good luck!!

9. Red70Camaro

Red70Camaro Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 1, 2007
    Goshen,IN
    I just had a 40x60x14 pole barn built. Poured 6" thick floor, will be installing a 10,000# 2 post lift. I had the entire floor poured 6" not exactly sure where the lift will be located.

10. sickfast1964

sickfast1964 Veteran Member

Aug 26, 2012
    Corinth, Tx
    Im building a 36x24x10. 15 ft to center peak right now. The concrete alone will be almost 5600. the total cost will be 24500 including the concrete. Then because where I live I will have to brick half way up the side, that will be another 2500 to 3500. I could save some by doing some my self, but wanted to get it done asap. Good Luck with yours, I will be posting pics of the progress once its done.