Guys who have built or had garages built

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by camarochevy1970, Dec 4, 2013.

1. camarochevy1970

camarochevy1970 Veteran Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I am looking at having a 24x24 built, with 12' ceiling height and concrete suitable for a lift. Was curious what others have paid for similar? I think I remember a few folks having stood up something that size in here.

Thanks

2. 1934chevycoupe

1934chevycoupe Veteran Member

Mar 12, 2013
    Harleysville, Pa
    i did mine 2 years ago. an extension to the original. just to give you an idea, cause it's bigger and an unusual shape, so more cost involved. the first bay is attached to the old and is 24'deep and about 15 ' wide, 9' high. the 2nd bay is on a 45* angle to the first bay and is 30' deep by 15' wide. used scissor trusses in the bigger bay which gives me 15' ceilin. poured the floor 4500psi concrete for a 2 post lift ( ended up putting in a 4 post, so no need for the stronger concrete). cost was $29,500. btw, that price didn't include the 3 Pella 3048 windows to match the house or the garage doors. walls were 2x6.

gets several quotes. i got 3.
    "only garages" builder quoted $45,000 w/ cheap windows and garage doors.
    amish builder quotes $43,500, but didn''t include concrete floor, windows or doors.
    buiilder i went with, a friend, and knew the other 2 quotes, quoted the $29,500

having a problem posting pics. will try again later if you're interested

3. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    If you can do it yourself, you can save a ton of money.

I built my garage myself in 2004. Mine is 24x48 with 10' walls. I paid only for materials. The garage cost me about $10k and I put another $3k into wiring, insulation, and finishing the inside.

4. camarochevy1970

Jan 23, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks guys. Gary, I wonder how much more the materials cost now, since 10 years have passed?

The quote I was given was for a 24x24, with 2 garage doors, 1 man door, 2 windows, concrete - $15k

5. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

Use scissors trusses to create a higher ceiling and room for mezzanine/loft

Always have enough overhead room to install two post lift with probably minimum 12' overhead.

Scissor trusses will allow taller door on gable end with lower overall roof height.

This is WRONG site for garage building advice

www.garagejournal.com READ,READ,READ

6. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2010
    erie, PA
    I would never build a garage that did NOT have a loft...your plan for a lift does complicate things.....perhaps gable trusses & a loft on one half...that would be posts in the center, but the added upstairs storage is WAY worth the inconvenience of the posts

7. camarochevy1970

Jan 23, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    lift is more important than a loft for me. It'd actually the only reason to build for us lol

8. earnhardtgm3

earnhardtgm3 Veteran Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Camaro Country,GA
    I'm in the process of looking into a garage myself and was looking at these.I can get the foundation poured by brother-in-law for cost.
    http://www.gaport.com/garages.htm

9. LADDTWZ

LADDTWZ Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Schoolcraft, Michigan
    yea, loft... Wish I had built one. I did end up cutting in a set of the fold up stair casings. At least this way you can get up there and put some smaller parts. I would suggest using a higher pitch truss and a 2x6 over 2x4 for the floor on the bottom of your trusses. Allows for more height with the higher pitch and more insulation and a sturdier floor with the 2x6 bottom..

10. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    Menards has garage "kits". Here is a 21x25x10. The materials are about $9k. That won't include concrete. You can make changes, some that would save you a few bucks, and others that increase the cost a lot.
    http://www.menards.com/main/buildin...car-garage-with-hip-roof/p-1998954-c-9891.htm

If you can scrape together $15k, build a $15k garage. Owning a $15k garage is always better than having a $30k garage that the bank owns in your yard. Adding unneeded things to the garage just raises price, and you don't own it if you don't have the money in your pocket.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013