Guys project 74 Z28

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by olstyle, Jun 26, 2008.

1. olstyle

olstyle Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Crestwood IL.
    3 months after we moved finally got the garage in good enough shape so I can heat it in the winter. So now I can get back to work on my toy. It is a 1974 Z28 4spd car. I bought it complete minus engine and trans. I think $1000.00 was a good price with all the new parts someone had put on her. Brakes all the way around, all suspension front and back. front fenders and inner fenders are all new. Maybe they gave up when they saw the left rear frame rail, who knows. She will get new rocker panels, right OEM full quarter panel, inner wheelhouse, trunk flor, trunk drop off, rear tail light panel, rear finish panel and I got a left OEM used full quarter panel and both rear frame rails from a Calif car. I am planning on working on that LH rear frame rail this weekend. I will post updated pics as things go together. Here are some pics, see what ya all think?
    [​IMG]
    when I brought her home
    [​IMG]
    right side top
    [​IMG]
    left side top
    [​IMG]
    right n left top
    [​IMG]
    right side bottom
    [​IMG]
    left side bottom
    [​IMG]
    right under rear seat
    [​IMG]
    left under rear seat
    [​IMG]
    left rear frame rail

2. ChevyReb

ChevyReb Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 4, 2003
    SC
    Did you repair the floor board? If so it looks like you are off to a good start and have the skills to get-r-done. Man I thought my frame rails and torque arms were bad??? Were the springs holding up the back seats LOL? If it were not a Z I would say go ahead and back halve the car...so much easier. But it can be done. Tack weld some pieces of bar or angle iron at several points along both sides of the rails and take some pics and measurements so you can be sure to get the replacements in the same locations. And make sure to only remove one at a time. Also, if they make the true full tunk pan for that year I would pay extra for that as the patch was a pain on my 71...they did not have the full one available when I did mine.

BTW, nice rotisserie!

Good Luck

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  3. olstyle

Jan 27, 2008
    Crestwood IL.
    yes I did. I forgot to add that I did the right pan before we moved and almost finished the left pan last weekend
    I did get a full oversize trunk pan but probably wont use the whole thing. I am going to change only front piece and rear piece of frame rails, not going to change complete frame rails.
    I made the rotisserie from 2 engine stands and some 2 inch square tubing. works great. thanks

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  4. West Texas Z

West Texas Z Veteran Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Lubbock, TX
    looks like a good project there. Nice garage!! Wish I had one that big. My car would be the only thing inside. lol Check out my 74 some time and leave a comment or something. ;)

5. olstyle

Jan 27, 2008
    Crestwood IL.
    Ive seen your 74 many times looks great. I love the yellow with black stripes.
    Mine will be a competion yellow with black stripes and black interior.
    I cant wait till Wookie gets that paint dvd out.

6. brcampbe

brcampbe Member

May 26, 2008
    Florida
    Looks like a project that'll keep you busy! Can't wait to see the pics of the repaired frame rails.

7. KJZ28

KJZ28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 26, 2004
    Brewsterico, New Fail
    That IS a project! Coming along good though!

8. MantisZero

MantisZero Member

Apr 10, 2008
    Allentown, PA
    Looks great!!! I am glad i didnt have to do that much to my 78! :eek:

9. olstyle

Jan 27, 2008
    Crestwood IL.
    Here is a couple pics of rear frame rail piece I will hopefully be fixing tomorow
    [​IMG]
    donor piece
    [​IMG]
    sandblasted , primed and ready to install

10. KEVS79

KEVS79 Veteran Member

Mar 3, 2008
    GLADSTONE, MO
    I am needing to replace the same section on mine. It would be great if you post lots of pictures on the replacement because I need all the info I can on this project. It looks like you really know what you are doing!!! The progress is great so far!!!